Porting Stock Intake Manifold? Need info

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I recall reading info in a few random posts/threads about porting the Stock IM a while back. Tried searching, but failed.

If there is a thread, can someone please direct me?

Or inform me please! Starting datalogging for Shaun later this week, so getting the ducks in a row on a couple extra mods for the tuning change to AED.

Clutch73

Established Member
Good question I haven't heard anything on this and am interested as well. As long as it would be cheaper than buying a Boss intake or makes better low end power could be a good plan. I could see it not being cost effective though.

PIKE5.0

Established Member
Shouldn't cost a dang thing.. As I understand it, DIY project. Shaun says it will gain, and is worth while if you can do it right. I know he did this to his own car over a year ago. He may reply with howto when he responds via email. If so I'll post. But, still looking for others who have or would if they knew.

SCalla1384

Established Member
A dremel, with a carbide tipped cutter, few 120 grit sand paper drums, and polish wheel/felt pad with the polish compound. I also used sand paper 320/600/1200/2000 grit to hand sand the runners to smooth it out the best I can before using the polishing compound.

PIKE5.0

Established Member
A dremel, with a carbide tipped cutter, few 120 grit sand paper drums, and polish wheel/felt pad with the polish compound. I also used sand paper 320/600/1200/2000 grit to hand sand the runners to smooth it out the best I can before using the polishing compound.

This just went to over my capabilities! F, hopefully a friend has the skills/dremel.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I've never tried it, but did my boss intake and it's pretty easy. Just keep the dremel on the slow speed and it'll work fine. Better off taking the O rings out so you don't accidentally kill them.

This is after taking the carbide tipped cutter and sandpaper drum to it (boss intake, but is very similar)

FFF0FCF8-C694-4702-B37C-25B6CDDAD24F-257-000000747B70A771_zps2634bb42.jpg

I still want to take some more off the injector boss , and the triangular pieces on the corner to have it completely smooth.

After that, hand sand it to the highest grit you can (smoother the better) then just take the polishing compound and the polishing wheel on the dremel and get it as smooth as possible.

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
I'm thinking about doing this during the winter on my boss intake manifold. Did you guys cut the fins of the throttle body or leave them? If so post some pics

WHITEMACH

Established Member
I'm thinking about doing this during the winter on my boss intake manifold. Did you guys cut the fins of the throttle body or leave them? If so post some pics

before
yi1q.jpg

after
kds9.jpg

did it help? couldn't tell but it whistles every once in a while:cuss:

Last edited:

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Thanks did u have to upgrade to a bigger throttle body? Or can you still use the stock one?

86merc

Established Member
before
yi1q.jpg

after
kds9.jpg

did it help? couldn't tell but it whistles every once in a while:cuss:

Ford said they tested the manifold with and with out the "fingers". Made no HP difference but a whistle was pronounced on the manifold with the fingers removed.

If you were porting the inlet for a 90mm throttle body you may see some gains. A member said he was porting his for a 90mm throttle body and had made a gasket to replace the o ring. Since he believed the casting would be very thin (if not gone) for the O ring. You could epoxy the groove for the o ring and port as needed. Then make a gasket to seal it all. But since he made the comment about porting the intake I have not seen anything about it since.

Because the CJ uses such a large throttle body opening and throttle body I would like to see a 90mm set up done right on a Boss. Would be interesting to see if there are significant gains there. But as 01Bluesnake showed with his ported stock intake, porting does not always result in gains. D'OH!

Users who are viewing this thread