Porting an M122... worth it and by who?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
As the title states, is it worth porting an M122? any real power gains to be had?

Currently running an M122 with 2.5" upper and stock lower, JLT 123mm intake, VMP triple pass dual fan HE, stock TB and elbow, stock fuel system.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I think putting that $500 toward a used TVS would be a better investment. But if you must port a stock blower, Jay's your guy.

RLB01

Established Member
+1 with Catmonkey... I did a smaller pulley on my M122 and then later had it ported. When the 13's came out with new TVS I installed one and entered into a new world of fun. Don't waste your time and money on the M122 go for the TVS (you get a lot of bang for your buck).

Kevin P

Established Member
I went from an unported 2.6" to a ported with a 2.4" and picked up about 3mph in the 1/4. From ~119 to ~122 on street tires. 565/565 on a Mustang Chassis dyno.

1st usa car

Established Member
Take that $500 for porting and sell your blower a quick $250-$300. Buy a used TVS $1300 -$1500 and have zero regrets.

Port gains on m112 are like 30hp vs TVS upgrade +100hp , less heat and potential for much more power.

ghig50

Established Member
With cars like faulsgt500 about to break into the 9's there definitely is potential with the m122 with extra heat of course.If you are happy with where you are at and only want to throw another $500 into the car that may be the way to go for you.I agree with others though if you are planning on throwing another couple thousand plus in your car tvs is the way to go.
Although it is impressive what some people are doing and have done with the m122.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/index.php?threads/331973/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ive been to TVS mountain top before, i know the gospel behind it for sure! Foolishly sold it because i thought i was going to buuld a dedicated New Edge drag car with a Ford BBF.

TVS prices might get that low once the TVS 2650s launch

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Lol, kinda. It is what it is. I can tell you that ill definitely appreciate the next power adder i put on my car, thats for sure.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
As the title states, is it worth porting an M122? any real power gains to be had?

Currently running an M122 with 2.5" upper and stock lower, JLT 123mm intake, VMP triple pass dual fan HE, stock TB and elbow, stock fuel system.
Definitely worth it to go the ported Eaton route.

- With a Posi port, ported stock TB, JLT 110, 2.40" upper, and 20 degrees of advance, my 07' hit 577/552 on Lee Blankenship's Dyno

- Upgraded the TB to a Ford Racing 65mm and hit 586/574. Same Dyno.

- Upgraded the JLT 110 to a JLT 123 and hit 595/582. Same Dyno.

- Re-tune with the same setup netted 591/579 on Johnny Lightning's Dyno. Upped the timing to 21 degrees for this session

- Added a VMP 67mm throttle body with no tuning adjustments and hit 608/581 on Keith's Pit Stop's dyno.

Conclusion being, that on three different dynos on five different occasions with various minor adjustments, the ported Eaton setup hit between 577 and 608 RWHP. Stock fuel injectors, Catted X pipe, factory exhaust manifolds, no BAP, modest 20-21 degree race tune with Torco. Respectable, safe power with very modest money spent.

Recently added a catless H pipe and VMP triple pass HE. And have a 10% lower pulley and long tube headers ready to install if I decide to go that route, (with fuel injectors and BAP sitting right next to them!). Don't get involved with horsepower guesses, but would be interesting what these additions would yield.

And the real kicker is, I have a Trinity TVS sitting on my desk if/when the mood strikes me. But for now, like my modestly set up 600 horsepower Eaton!!

nxhappy

Established Member
Ive been to TVS mountain top before, i know the gospel behind it for sure! Foolishly sold it because i thought i was going to buuld a dedicated New Edge drag car with a Ford BBF.

TVS prices might get that low once the TVS 2650s launch
TVS or whipple hands down ...might as well do it right brother

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Definitely worth it to go the ported Eaton route.

- With a Posi port, ported stock TB, JLT 110, 2.40" upper, and 20 degrees of advance, my 07' hit 577/552 on Lee Blankenship's Dyno

- Upgraded the TB to a Ford Racing 65mm and hit 586/574. Same Dyno.

- Upgraded the JLT 110 to a JLT 123 and hit 595/582. Same Dyno.

- Re-tune with the same setup netted 591/579 on Johnny Lightning's Dyno. Upped the timing to 21 degrees for this session

- Added a VMP 67mm throttle body with no tuning adjustments and hit 608/581 on Keith's Pit Stop's dyno.

Conclusion being, that on three different dynos on five different occasions with various minor adjustments, the ported Eaton setup hit between 577 and 608 RWHP. Stock fuel injectors, Catted X pipe, factory exhaust manifolds, no BAP, modest 20-21 degree race tune with Torco. Respectable, safe power with very modest money spent.

Recently added a catless H pipe and VMP triple pass HE. And have a 10% lower pulley and long tube headers ready to install if I decide to go that route, (with fuel injectors and BAP sitting right next to them!). Don't get involved with horsepower guesses, but would be interesting what these additions would yield.

And the real kicker is, I have a Trinity TVS sitting on my desk if/when the mood strikes me. But for now, like my modestly set up 600 horsepower Eaton!!

Iron Terp, once again you have bestowed upon me excellent knowledge! Ive got an offroad H pipe, 2.5" pulley and and a 123mm JLT.

Im going to contact Posi about porting my case, and looking into getting another VMP M122 elbow and a Ford CJ monoblade. 700 crank 600+ wheel HP is quite amazing for the stock unit with stock fuel system to boot!

While a TVS is a great upgrade, hearing about your 07 making that kind of power is a big confidence boost to go with a ported case. I might send you a PM when the time comes. Sides, if Im going to save for a TVS, im going to save for the TVS 2650 and all the needed extras but thats a ways off.

Who did you use for tuning?

1st usa car

Established Member
saving for the 2650 is a great idea --- IN the meantime you may not want to blow money on porting -- 100% you will need to do alot of suspension work, may as well start now... traction is going to be your biggest concern when you get a 2650.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Tech48, be glad to help any way I can. I've been messing extensively with these Eaton setups on Cobras and GT500s since 2004. Made my share of mistakes and had my share of successes.

Lee Blankenship was my original tuner when I lived in Nashville. Did a very nice job. When I moved to Pennsylvania, went back to Johnny Lightning who was my 03' Cobra tuner. Considering switching to VMP due to the ease of revisions that they offer.

And there is minimal risk of "blowing" money on just about any performance parts we buy for the GT500's. Resale value for these cars is excellent. I have bought and sold over 150 parts thru SVTP with minimal loss. The only cost that can add up is tuning expenses.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Tech48, be glad to help any way I can. I've been messing extensively with these Eaton setups on Cobras and GT500s since 2004. Made my share of mistakes and had my share of successes.

Lee Blankenship was my original tuner when I lived in Nashville. Did a very nice job. When I moved to Pennsylvania, went back to Johnny Lightning who was my 03' Cobra tuner. Considering switching to VMP due to the ease of revisions that they offer.

And there is minimal risk of "blowing" money on just about any performance parts we buy for the GT500's. Resale value for these cars is excellent. I have bought and sold over 150 parts thru SVTP with minimal loss. The only cost that can add up is tuning expenses.

How drastically will this change the fueling requirement? Like, if i had the case ported and just popped it back on my car would it need a retune? My tune currently is compensated for my JLT intake and offroad h pipe and 2.5" upper. Ill email my tuner, but hope fully he wont consider a ported M122 a non stock blower. I guess it technically is.

saving for the 2650 is a great idea --- IN the meantime you may not want to blow money on porting -- 100% you will need to do alot of suspension work, may as well start now... traction is going to be your biggest concern when you get a 2650.
Im there at the top of the suspension mountain! :D Took me almost 2 years of owning my car before I got serious about the rear. She currently is running BMR rod end and adjustable UCA and LCAs, upper mount, BMR diff bushing insert, BMR LCA relo brackets, Viking 150 lb springs, BPS adjustable spring perches and Viking Warrior D/A shocks and BMR adjustable panhard rod.

I havent had the chance to make a hit with the new setup yet, but soon. Very soon. Hopefully heading back to CA to get my car. Had to leave her behind to get her AC fixed. Cause its Arizona... with out AC? lol F that.

frydguy79

Established Member
I did the Stiegemeier Snake Bite when it first came out ,
Which upped the Boost on the stock S/C to 15 16 lbs , C&L cai, stock tb off road xpipe cat Delete and made 600/600 on 91 ..so yes there is power to be had ..
About the same boost As a 2.6 & 10% lower while looking stock...
. Made a few bucks on the side...

Users who are viewing this thread