Porter Cable Help

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
I just purchased a Porter Cable 7424 and all the accessories. When applying Poorboy's SSR.x, what type of technique should I use? By this I mean, what type of pattern do you move the PC in, and how long do you work with any one area of the paint?

todd abbott

Established Member
The porter cable can provide some fantastic results, years ago when I first got into using a power polisher I practiced on my company car:-D if you do a google search for Autotopia and Griot's Garage they both have some great instructions on how to properly polish. Heres some quick tips: use the proper pads for polish or wax being applied, don't mix polishes on the same pad, use the most mild polish for the job at hand and repeat application as needed, keep the polisher moving, pretty obvious, but don't stay in one spot, I use a simple back and forth motion, tape all the plastic trim and be careful on metal edges as the paint is easier to burn there, florecent light the garage-good lightning=better results, take your time-the first few times out had me thinking I could do it by hand faster, maybe but no way would I have gotten the same results, flat out awesome, minor imperfections gone and a shine you couldn't touch hand polishing. Good luck, Todd

todd abbott

Established Member
As an add on to the above, chose your products carefully, use polishes and waxes designed to work together, I use Klasse all in one polish for basic detailing as well as Pinnicle Souverean wax on my black truck I also use Sonus polishes for the more specific detailing jobs but there are many different combos and everyone has an opinion, Zaino, Sonus, Pinnicle, Griots all have systems designed to work and work well. Good luck, Todd

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Seems everthing has pretty much been answered.

As far as movement speed/rate, 1" per second works very well at speeds 5 and 6. Don't be scared of using speed 6.

Good luck, post pics before/after.

jasil

Established Member
Just remember it will get dirty again:bash: My car is black and after 4hrs it looks gorgeous then 4hrs later it's dirty again, but still shiny:D . The older I get the less anal I become.

Users who are viewing this thread