Ported heads

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Just how important is the exhaust side of the head for the 03? Got a set of ported heads, looking over the flow numbers I was just curious. Thanks for the input.

04Sonic

Established Member
The stock heads flow very well, unless you are running a large blower and cams you will see minimal gains from ported heads.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
They are already on my car. This is a reference question.

The gain was 45 rwhp @6200 on a steg stg 2 eaton. Also using GT cams which I regret.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
The lift is only 435 intake 430 exhaust. NOT 465 split like some people think it is. I had problems with Ford about this and they set me straight. So you get .041 more lift and slightly more duration. Yes for $400 it is probably a great deal, but to do it all over again I should have gone MPH custom grinds. I was trying to do cams on a budget which I shouldn't have. Tim put the motor in my car, should have been smart and got cams from him also.

Originally when I was swapping heads I thought I might get a turbo later from Jason (Comp Speed & Sound). Talked with him about the cams and he said GT cams would be great for a turbo. Since I was still stuck with the eaton for a while I thought they would be great dual purpose. However now I want buy a house since the market is down so the turbo is out the window. Hence why I wish I would have just went custom grind.

Last edited:

04Sonic

Established Member
They are already on my car. This is a reference question.

The gain was 45 rwhp @6200 on a steg stg 2 eaton. Also using GT cams which I regret.

Was the gain from the port or a combination of the heads and the blower.

I

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
The blower was already ported when the heads went on. The gain was from heads/cams. Also added 60lb injectors. Fuel ran out at 6000 and MAF is pegged. This is with a 2.8 upper stock lower. Timing around 20. You can see the boost dropped up to 2psi in some places and is over much smoother throughout the curve. Also, the power is much smoother.

Still looking for an answer to the original question, how important is the exhaust side?

17547b859f1685c4.jpg

Last edited:

04Sonic

Established Member
The blower was already ported when the heads went on. The gain was from heads/cams

I am curios how much the cams gave you, I have seen much less with ported heads. Sounds like you had very good gains, who ported them?

redline

Established Member
from what i know cams and a ported eaton is not a good combo. i ended up buying a whipple and that combo with cams work really good.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
MMR ported my heads. Looking for the flow chart now. My eaton is only a stg2. Allen (Almo) told me to either go stg 5 with a 4lb lower or TS. I'm not really looking for 600+ so I will probably go with the stg 5 so I'm waiting on Pianoman's results.

Users who are viewing this thread