Ported Eaton or Whipple 2.3

Davisenvy

Established Member
Sorry if this has been beat to death, but I want to hear from someone who has made the switch and was it worth it. My car is a 2003 Cobra and I'm currently making 525rwhp/540tq with my set up. I'm not a big fan of how there isn't much past the 5K rpm mark.

Ported Eaton
80lb injectors
BAP
SCT 2600
Billet Throttle body
JLT RAI
2.76 upper
4lb lower
Killer Chiller

LS WUT

Established Member
What are your intentions with the car? Do you drag race is 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile? Is this just a weekend rip around car? I ask because generally speaking drive around cars you’re not going to be doing many pulls past 5k.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
always think the whipple is a worthwhile upgrade all comes down to budget and goals

let me know if i can help with one

thanks
beef

Davisenvy

Established Member
This car will never see the track and is a daily/weekend driver. I don't drive very aggressive, but I like to have fun. I also don't go much past 5k rpm much, but I also don't use the 525 hp all the time either. I'm just curious if the upgrade from the ported eaton vs a whipple 2.3 is a worth while upgrade or are they similar in performance.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
If I were to do it all over again (for the 5th time), I'd slap on a 2.3 TVS and do a fuel system and call it a day.

I'd run 93 most days...make 600rwhp. Then e85 and pulley down when I felt frisky. IMO, a TVS car was perfect for the street.

I love the whipples, but the removeable elbow on the TVS is worth its weight in gold.

robvas

Established Member
It'd be +100hp. And there's another 100hp to be had with the right gas and more boost.

You have the supporting mods (for pump gas at least), do it. Then again you probably won't notice it under 70-80mph...

Davisenvy

Established Member
I thought the TVS 2.3 wasn't available any more, is this true? I am also reading that the VMP 2.65 would be sluggish under 18 lbs of boost. I don't have E85 in my area so I'm limited to 93 octane. And yes, I will be replacing the BAP with a return fuel system, Fore maybe.

PC03GT

Established Member
I thought the TVS 2.3 wasn't available any more, is this true? I am also reading that the VMP 2.65 would be sluggish under 18 lbs of boost. I don't have E85 in my area so I'm limited to 93 octane. And yes, I will be replacing the BAP with a return fuel system, Fore maybe.
If you can try to find someone around the area that has a whipple, take a ride and then go from there.

SsnakeSVT03

Established Member
This car will never see the track and is a daily/weekend driver. I don't drive very aggressive, but I like to have fun. I also don't go much past 5k rpm much, but I also don't use the 525 hp all the time either. I'm just curious if the upgrade from the ported eaton vs a whipple 2.3 is a worth while upgrade or are they similar in performance.
Whipple 2.3 all day! I don’t ever track my car or drive very aggressive. But I still have my fun. I am more than happy with my Gen 2 2.3L Whipple.

As @01yellercobra mentioned, upgrade the pumps and ditch the BAP. Lots of good options available.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

It's not, but come up on the used market now and then. I may be biased but that with the GT500 TB is great all around on the street.

Edit: just missed one

Last edited:

wckdvnm

Established Member
Another side note that the 2.3L whipple is now on a gen 3 rotor pack so most make about 50 hp over the gen 2 cars at same boost levels.
If you can find yourself a 2.3 tvs that you can rebuild jokerz porting now can make it essentially a 2.3R port. Making it equal to a 2.3 whipple. It comes down to if you want a roots or twin screw blower. IIRC the 2.3 tvs is marginally cooler running around town and it had a removable inlet.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
2.3 for sure. I’m rocking the ported Eaton and it’s been a yawn fest for awhile now.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
2.3 for sure. I’m rocking the ported Eaton and it’s been a yawn fest for awhile now.

⚠️ just don't go down the having fun building rabbit hole. May or may not own vehicles and firearms that seemed like a good idea in theory.

mark23svt

Established Member
I went from stock, pulley, ported blower to a 2.3 whipple now and it’s great. Just feels better overall like if car should have came with one from factory. Was going to go 2.3 tvs but this car came with a whipple and no point in changes for a tad more m. Saying that I have a 2.3 tvs for sale hit me up lol.

03terminatorcobra

Established Member
I have also done all the steps as others have in the past. I actually miss the days when my cobra was a street car with a 2.3.

IMO, I would get a 2.3 whipple (gen3) or 2.3 tvs if you can find one used.

Davisenvy

Established Member
Thanks for the help. I guess I need to decide if I want a used VMP or new Whipple. Do I need to upgrade my fuel system before getting a 2.3? Or is it something that I can do down the road?

Users who are viewing this thread