Port/spray or whipple???

greystang02

Established Member
im thinking about either a stage 5 port with a 120shot or a 2.3 whipple, im just looking for peoples opinion on which would be a better setup to get over 600rwhp

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
KB/Whipple FTW!!! Will be spending just as much with a port and spray as if you where to buy a better, more efficient blower...

NITROS COBRA

Established Member
If you port your blower 600-700 bucks and add a good nos kit another 700 or so $, another tune for it 300-600 bucks= where are you at. Kb/whipple. Do the blower and you will be happy not to fill the dam bottle all the time, hit the gas and make great power all the time, etc.

945LSTANG

Established Member
my vote goes towards the whipple. nitrous is nice and cheap and produces good power, but i hate how you have to mess with refilling the bottle.

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
I say Stretch the Eaton out. Instead of nitrous how about some good suspension and other things like cams LT headers?? Just my opinion.

Or just Stretch your wallet and do it all!!!

boostedoval

Established Member
port/spray all day. You see kb/whipple cars running 11's and high 10's and there are many eaton cobras going 10's all boost. I say you set the car up correctly before you go any further than ported blower with pulleys. On the street a 500 rwhp eaton with a 100 shot will walk a 17-21 psi kb/whipple car all day

twhitey

Established Member
I have less than a 1k in my ported sprayed set up. Cant beat the price on used ported blowers and someone is always selling a complete nitrous kit.
If I bought a ts I would keep the n20. A ts/spray is whats next for me.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Twin screw + spray = lights out.

I ran a ported Eaton/spray combo and it couldn't touch my little 2.2KB (23psi).
Spraying the KB makes puts most street cars in the rear view mirror.

xxberlinettaxx

dj bnasty
Established Member
u guys are all saying after the port and nitrouse kit and tune ur right around the price of a kb/ whipple.. but either way ur gonna have to get a tune so as for it being about the same in price shouldnt even be a decision maker because it isnt. id say port and spray.. and if u still are not pushing enough power up the spray or do more work to other parts of the car like suspension work cuz with all the power in the world if u cant put it to the ground what good is it

Corona-Extra

Miles Away From Ordinary
Established Member
port/spray all day. You see kb/whipple cars running 11's and high 10's and there are many eaton cobras going 10's all boost. I say you set the car up correctly before you go any further than ported blower with pulleys. On the street a 500 rwhp eaton with a 100 shot will walk a 17-21 psi kb/whipple car all day

I have less than a 1k in my ported sprayed set up. Cant beat the price on used ported blowers and someone is always selling a complete nitrous kit.
If I bought a ts I would keep the n20. A ts/spray is whats next for me.

nuf said.

i'd port and spray too

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Twin screw + spray = lights out.

I ran a ported Eaton/spray combo and it couldn't touch my little 2.2KB (23psi).
Spraying the KB makes puts most street cars in the rear view mirror.

Whats your power after spray if you dont mind saying?

And I'd vote port/spray because thats why I want to do and it seems to be an easy way to get around 600hp.

Plus you dont always need the nitrous...it's always fun to play with guys who you tell that you only have a pulley and row past them like their going backwards.

greystang02

Established Member
no matter what im doing long tubes and off rd hpipe, i read somewhere people with port and spray where walkin away from whipple and kb's, so i wasnt sure how true that was i was also lookin at the 2.6kb i think it was like 3400

03cobrarocks

Established Member
port and spray will beat a kb or whipple all day.... until the bottle is empty :)

*Disclaimer*:my above statement is not always true but from the videos I have seen is 90% right

I think it depends on what you want for the car, if its mostly a track car I think I would go with a port, and a healthy shot say 125 shot. Then spend a little money on suspension and track wheels and you are set.

If you want something that will boil the tires in first and second gear all the time without having to mess with bottle filling, running lines, multiple tunes, get kb/whipple

honestly with the right setup I think you will be happy with either

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Mammoth and cams and make close to 700 whp.

or for half the price have 700 with port and spray:shrug:.....the downside to port and nos is the nos runs out and the ts is constant power....i wont be using the wet kit anyways very rarley for track and you ts guys lol jk or for all the new crazy cars coming out:)

Last edited:

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
I ported my own blower, TB, plenum and bought a used NX kit from some V6 forums for $225 plus $75 for a MSD window switch, and $40 to fill the 10# bottle. Everything else I got you would need or want with a TS also. I'm happy with my budget numbers and could have tuned for a lot more on the spray with a different set of $15 NOS jets :)

I'm fine with these daily driver numbers on the blower with upper pulley only. After I make some other changes to the car I may turn up my NOS for a larger shot for track use.

Sure I'd like to have a mammoth and all that but I chopped my car mod budget way down after my last $70K project Mustang. I'd just run a TS with mid 600's to the wheels if someone gave me a new blower :) probably spray that too for track use.

Last edited:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
I ported my own blower, TB, plenum and bought a used NX kit from some V6 forums for $225 plus $75 for a MSD window switch, and $40 to fill the 10# bottle. Everything else I got you would need or want with a TS also. I'm happy with my budget numbers and could have tuned for a lot more on the spray with a different set of $15 NOS jets :)

hopfully with a 100 shot i can get 650:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread