Port Eaton?

LightningB

Just another Lightning
Established Member
I'm looking to do the same thing, but I'm getting mine done by Stiegemeier . They're running a sale this summer for porting. Also as I quickly found out when I became a member a tune is a MUST. I have a SCT handheld tuner.

Chuck Norris

Established Member
do you also have a lower pulley?

Usually people add a lower pulley before or at the same time as the port.

Edit - If I were you (actually I just did this myself) I would look in the classified section and see if you can pick up a used ported blower. They usually aren't to expensive, and then you can sell you old one to offset some of the cost.

Last edited:

Pewter99TransAm

Man from what I heard steig got all his problems worked out..and he suppuse to be the man to see for a port. i wouldnt run anything over a 4 pound pulley combo with a port to be on the safe side. But from what ive read mos people are seeing the most gains when runnin a 6 pounder. Right now Im runnin just a 6 and it made one hell of a diff! Make sure you get some colder plugs, good tune (dyno if available)! Talk to Rick @ Amazon! Best tuner there is! My numbers are in tha sig.

Last edited by a moderator:

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
I would see about getting steig. to port your eaton and then slap on a 6# lower. Get a tune for it and go have some fun.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
I want a Stieg port...

...I need more money...

...I'll never get a port unless I do it myself, too much money. :(

LtnRyder

03 636 as well
Established Member
Im pretty deadset on just gettin the stock eaton ported since I really don't care to put that much over 400 to the ground. However instead of gettin a tuner, couldn't i just run a wideband gauge and get a dyno tune instead of shellin out another $400 for a sct/diablo tuner?

HalfTime

Established Member
In order to get a Dyno Tune you need to have a hand held tunner to load the tune.

LtnRyder

03 636 as well
Established Member
HalfTime said:
In order to get a Dyno Tune you need to have a hand held tunner to load the tune.

Don't shops have these? I've never been around for actual dyno tuning of a car so thats why im asking. I've been around for pulls, but thats something else. If I can avoid spendin another $400 and be good to go that'd be great.

HalfTime

Established Member
Yes, but the tunners are VIN specific for a tune. Custom Tunners have a program on thier computer that alows them to modify parimters of your PCM, but in order for them to load it onto you vehical, they need to load it onto your hand held.

Thier are set ups out thier that can tune multiple vehicals with a flash tune, but it is very expensive, about a grand. My wife sells them.

Edit: A shop could tune your truck with a custom tune with say, thier own Predator Tunner, but then they would not be able to use it again, only on your truck. Untill the orginal tune is re-installed on your truck. And cleared the Predator of your VIN.

Last edited:

LtnRyder

03 636 as well
Established Member
HalfTime said:
Yes, but the tunners are VIN specific for a tune. Custom Tunners have a program on thier computer that alows them to modify parimters of your PCM, but in order for them to load it onto you vehical, they need to load it onto your hand held.

Thier are set ups out thier that can tune multiple vehicals with a flash tune, but it is very expensive, about a grand. My wife sells them.

Edit: A shop could tune your truck with a custom tune with say, thier own Predator Tunner, but then they would not be able to use it again, only on your truck. Untill the orginal tune is re-installed on your truck. And cleared the Predator of your VIN.

:( Well f***...guess i'll b blowin another $400 then. Thanks for the very informative answer btw.

HalfTime

Established Member
lol, no prob. Check the for sale section here. Most times you can get a used one for 2-300 bucks. E-bay has one for sale right now that I think of it. I saw it earlyer tonight.

Lightning Steve

Established Member
Get a hand held tuner, the dyno places can burn a chip for you but from what I've seen the cost is close to a hand tuner. The other big advantage to a hand tuner is the other things it can do, read and clear codes, data logging etc.

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
Anybody herd anything on Lightning force Performance port jobs?? I was gonna buy a KB but i think ima buy a bottem end 1st! but in the mean time the price for a ported blower is reasonable. I have a SCT tune from Dallas Mustang and my 6# lower should be here tommorrow i hope that this set up will run good . MODS so far : JLP forced air induction kit, JLP thunder pipe, 160*stat and traction bars. Im also havin a tuff time figurin out if i wanna leave those 355 gears in there or should i step 2 a 373 or a 410??? any comments are much needed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread