Porsche 356 Speedster – Complete Appearance Restoration

Chewy

Established Member
Porsche 356 Speedster – Complete Appearance Restoration

I worked on this vintage Porsche 356 Speedster a little while ago and just now I’m having time to get caught up on doing the write up. I’ve done several cars for this client (mostly classic Porsches) and not only does he use the heck out of them, he also wants them maintained to the highest levels on a regular basis. Just recently he transported a few of his cars to California just to drive them on the mountainous road terrain. This is the 1st of several sessions I’ve spent working on this vehicle and here is how it went.

As it arrived:

356001.jpg

356004.jpg

356005.jpg

During the wash prep process. I used 3D Yellow Degreaser for the wheels, tires & wheelhouses.

356009.jpg

Decades of dirty and grime scrubbed and rinsed away. I didn’t want to use a pressure washer to avoid disturbing the existing undercoating even though the owner will be having it reapplied:

356010.jpg

356012.jpg

356015.jpg

356016.jpg

This old finish lacked depth, so I decided a light hand sanding with Micro-Mesh
3600 grit was in order. I used 3D’s Pink Car Wash soap as a lubricant. This level of grit easily and effectively leveled the topical defects to aid in breaking through to the workable finish which greatly helped the canvas for correction.

356024.jpg

356021.jpg

Here’s how it looked prior to correction (keep in mind that a 3600 sand scratch is quite easy to polish out):
Outside shots:

356025.jpg

356029.jpg

356030.jpg

356038.jpg

A little taping off (the plate frame assembly did get removed):

356045.jpg

356043.jpg

50/50’s to see how perfect the restored finish was able to get. I used HD UNO V4 with 5 inch MF pads for the correction and then finished down with 3D black finishing foam pads.

356054.jpg

356062.jpg

After the post correction rewash was done, I then preceded to clean, recondition and detail the interior and trunk compartments. I used HD TOTAL for all the cleaning duties. Here is what the interior looked like before:

356086.jpg

Here is a mild concentration of TOTAL soaking on the seats. The more it dwelled, the more it allowed all the deeply embedded soiling that resided here for decades to gently free up and away from the surface. I used the HD DUO pad for the scrubbing/agitating duties. Here’s a taste of what was lifting:
Spray:

356089.jpg

Agitate:
356090.jpg

356097.jpg

After breaking things up and a little more dwell time:

356092.jpg

And here’s how differently the seats looked after cleaning along with the dirt that lifted onto the towel:

356093.jpg

356096.jpg

Here’s a sample of the soiling that lifted from the door panels:

356084.jpg

Other sections received some love from various brushes:

356100.jpg

356101.jpg

356099.jpg

Because the seats looked a touch dingy and the owner prefers a little gloss (as long as it’s tasteful) on this vehicle, I used HD PROTECT as the icing on the cake. This stuff smells incredible! You can alter the gloss after the product sets up. Just take a separate towel and buff it to the desired gloss level w/o any greasy feel.

356104.jpg

Here is how the interior turned out:

356122.jpg

Dash clean, shined & sealed:

356125.jpg

On to the trunk. Here’s how it started:

356071.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/PolyProDetail/Porsche%20
Speedster/356070.jpg

The floor mat was removed and hand scrubbed and then rinsed:

356075.jpg

The fuel tank was polished with HD UNO with a Green foam pad and then sealed with HD POXY:

356072.jpg

Seals were treated with 1Z Gummi:

356076.jpg

Trunk Afters:

356078.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/PolyProDetail/Porsche%20
Speedster/356081.jpg

Engine got a light rinse and wipe down:

356116.jpg

Toward the end of the day, I applied a thin layer of HD POXY sealer and let is cross-link overnight:

356108.jpg

356109.jpg

356105.jpg

Here’s the afters:

356140.jpg

356136.jpg

356153.jpg

356135.jpg

356145.jpg

356138.jpg

356137.jpg

356143.jpg

356160.jpg

356133.jpg

356146.jpg

356131.jpg

356141.jpg

356161.jpg

Because of the chance for rain, my client decided to get this vehicle towed back to his place. He would have left it, but was having a party and was anxious to show off his car to his friends

mail.jpg

Questions & Comments encouraged.... :D

Last edited:

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks for the compliment! Tell everyone I say HI!!! :read:

Incidentally I used to do detailing for a dealership that specialized in what they referred to as "investment-grade musclecars." I always longed for an opportunity to have a go at something like that Speedster...

T0RCH3D

Established Member
That is some unbelievably good work. I could only dream of correcting a car like that, though I would be scared to touch it. ;-) Just curious how many hours total did this take you? All of the other work is spot on and really will inspire other users here showing that you can restore almost anything back to looking new with determination, technique, and the right products!

Dadz500

Established Member
Most excellent work. Where in South Florida are you? I might have to bring one of my cars to you. Really did a great job!

Chewy

Established Member
Absouletly Beautiful, You know what your doing. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the compliment! I've done this a couple times I guess....:rolling:

That is some unbelievably good work. I could only dream of correcting a car like that, though I would be scared to touch it. ;-) Just curious how many hours total did this take you? All of the other work is spot on and really will inspire other users here showing that you can restore almost anything back to looking new with determination, technique, and the right products!

Thanks T0RCH3D! I really appreciate the kind words. I had this car at my place for about a week. Worked on it off and on. Spent about 20-25 hours on it and took my time. Cars are cars. The more they cost, the less concerned I really am. I sanded a $5 million AC Cobra prototype a few months ago and it wasn't any different then doing the same thing on a 93 Cobra. :shrug:

Awesome job on a sweet ride!!:rockon:

Thanks cobra_4 !! :thumbsup:

thank you very much for posting all the details. no pun intended but very cool stuff

You're welcome and thank you right back. I love puns whether they are intensional or not! :-D

wow.... just wow.... great work...

Thanks Woody!

Great job!

Thanks Wishing4Cobra!

Most excellent work. Where in South Florida are you? I might have to bring one of my cars to you. Really did a great job!

I'm known to be anywhere from Miami to Stuart, but most of my clients are in Miami, Boca & Palm Beach. Technically, I live in the Metro Detroit area and make regular trips down south. Or anywhere someone with a nice car, a hand full of money and a desire to make their car look incedible is willing to call on my services. ;-)

Awesome work as always David. Thanks for sharing!
A compliment coming from the head honcho himself is both an honor and priveledge. :bowdown: Thanks!!

fast ford brian

Established Member
I used your cleaning trick on the seats in my truck . WOW , I never knew how nice my leather could look . I was embarrassed at how much crud came off of them . Thanks for the tips !

Users who are viewing this thread