por-15 on headers

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
anyone have any experience with this and the protection it adds? supposedly it originally was used on the bottom of ships. thinkin about getting an uncoated set of headers and just coating them myself with the por-15

250psd

Established Member
Intresting question. I know that stuff is one of the best under coating/rust inhibiting products out there. Good sh/t!! But I never heard of anyone painting headers with it? Probably best thing to do is e-mail the company and see what the heat rating is.

94CobraPace

Established Member
Which POR 15? They have some cast iron gray for manifolds that is good for temp around 1400 degrees, works better on cast iron than headers. I used it before on a classic 67 Mustang and after a while it started to peal around the heads, got too hot for too long I guess, the rest looked good. The black POR 15 for rust protection will not last, it does really good about protecting from rust, but not heat.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I have used POR-15s products a LOT. Some of the best stuff out there. Their regular Rust Preventative Paint probably wouldn't be the best for headers; I don't think it could hold up to the extreme temps that they can get to.

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=P2&dept=8

I have painted a set of old headers with that paint before with great results. It's just a nice bright satin silver. Here is a PDF about directions/surface prep, etc.

http://www.por15.com/Data Sheets/high temp directions.pdf

Also their Prep products are awesome. Just in case you were wondering about them.

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
yea, a buddy of mine used it on his classic buick for the manifolds. that cars garaged 99 % of the time tho..while my car won't be a daily driver, I don't have a garage for it, so I was wondering how good it would be. It seems like a way to get a set of high dollar headers for a halfway reasonable price.

NXGHOST

Established Member
IMO there is nothing that will hold up in the longrun on exhaust manifolds or headers that is a spray/brush on product. Baked on coatings like Jet Hot are the way to go.

I have also used POR15 products in the past until I tried Zerorust, it is what I now use for my rust paints. Much nicer finish and application, not overly shiny, just a nice factory looking finish. www.zerorust.com

cobra003.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread