Popping sound when backing up

Dave_6

Established Member
I posted this on the Coyote FB group but I'm reposting it here. Trying to narrow down what it can be before I start dumping money into it...

I'm running a full BMR setup on the front of my car; K-member, A-arms, radiator support, etc. I've been hearing and feeling a popping noise from the left front, only when I back up. The car rolls ~6 feet and then it does it, every time. I can feel it through the floor board when it does it. A visual inspection doesn't show anything obvious, so could it be that I need to just re-check the torque on the A-arm and K-member bolts? The car drives fine and it doesn't make any noises while driving or over bumps. FWIW the car does not currently have a sway bar on it.

I posted this yesterday after finally getting the car into the shop I work in:

Just an update since I finally had a chance to get it in here and let a couple of the techs look at it with me. Everything is tight/torqued properly and a visual inspection reveals nothing wrong. I can recreate the noise while backing up and then pulling forward a few feet at a time. Each tech put their hand on each strut tower and could feel a clunk every time it made the noise. I've been running the Maximum Motorsports CC plates and they have to use the stock strut mount/bearing part. Could that be it?

Last edited:

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
It is possible that your strut mount is bad and the bearings are shot. I didn't see it on FB or I would have commented.... maybe I'm not in that group tho.

Dave_6

Established Member
A few folks commented with a couple of them saying it could be a strut mount/spring issue. They only have 28K miles on them but I had to disassemble and then reinstall them when I put the c/c plates on. I'm tempted to order the Steeda ones but they're $300 and I'd hate to buy those and that not fix it.

Lemonth

Established Member
A few folks commented with a couple of them saying it could be a strut mount/spring issue. They only have 28K miles on them but I had to disassemble and then reinstall them when I put the c/c plates on. I'm tempted to order the Steeda ones but they're $300 and I'd hate to buy those and that not fix it.

The mounts love breaking if you even look at them wrong. If you disassembled your mount is very likely to be your issue. Do you get the sound when you turn your wheel?

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
The J&M ones have been great. No issues with them. Just bolt in. That's what drove us away from the MM camber plates. They are a bit cheaper too. Used to have gt500s, but the tires wore. We aligned oursellf with the J&M, no issues to date.

Dave_6

Established Member
The mounts love breaking if you even look at them wrong. If you disassembled your mount is very likely to be your issue. Do you get the sound when you turn your wheel?

No noise when turning. It just pops when say, backing out of my garage.

Users who are viewing this thread