Popping Rear End

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
It appears that its rear-end rebuild season on this forum.

So I've recently developed a strange noise in the rear of my Cobra. It only seems to happen on left turns. When I agressively put it in a corner, it makes a popping noise almost like its got a spool rear end. It also feels like the car gets a little loose...but suspension is tight and tires are newer with no problems.

Any guesses? I had a similar problem in a car with a broken spider gear, but that wouldn't be the case here.

Maybe this will let me finally get some GEARS in this thing.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
That sucks, but have fun with the new gears. What are your plans 4.10's or 4.30's? Good luck.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Just go all out over the winter. Take the time and do it right, it's not like the car is going anywhere over the winter anyway, right?
Now that mine's fugging exploded, I'm going with a Termi differential, 31 splines, T/A girdle, and I'm keeping the 4.30s

Last edited by a moderator:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
If you decide to go to a different gear you're welcome to take a spin in my car and see what 4.10's are like.

It's a shame we live so close to one another and have never met.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Thanks guys, yeah I've been eager to see what one of these with gears feels like. I'm leaning towards 4.30's since that appears to be the gears of choice among us DOHC Cobra folks. Plus they're cheaper than 3.73's 4.10's.

P.J.- I read your post earlier in the week and sorry for your troubles. But you've got a nice project that will reward you next spring. Plus I admire the fact that you still ran her at the strip after it was making noise. Might as well go out in style, bro :beer: I will most likely mimic what you've got going on. Do you drive yours in the winter or do you have another car? I really need to lay mine up for a season and do the rear end, IMRC cleaning, suspension bushings, etc. Its starting to show her age.

Bryan- I appreciate the offer. And on the passing by each other thing...yeah I hear ya. One of these days maybe we'll meet up to talk shop and have a brew!

Users who are viewing this thread