Popping From Under Hood.help Please.

JOHN KESTLY

Established Member
As I Was Pulling In To Work Today A Popping Noise Came From Under The Hood,i Wasn't Hard At All On It This Morn.however I Did Just Wash It 10 Minutes B-4.
Opened The Hood While Car Was Idling And Worked The Throttle Just Enough To Get The Sound.it Seems To Be Coming From Under The Cap That Covers The Spark Plugs.could A Plug Have Come Loose?
I Dont Even Want To Drive It The Way Its Running.don't Want To Wreck Anything.
My Mods
2.93 Pulley W/apten Tune
Steeda Cai
Tr5 Ngk Plugs
These Mods Have Been Flawless For A Year And A Half,nothing New.
Do You Guys Have Any Ideas.
Thanks.

VinSVT

Established Member
If you have the old style heads... I've heard rumors because of there being such little thread holding them on that they actually pop out. If I were you I'd pop off the covers, and make sure all the spark plugs are in proper place.

Is the car missing at all?

vipergts281

Established Member
CHECK YOUR PLUGS NOW!!!!

I had one pop out while driving and it cost about $600 to fix after it was all said and done. Not to mention the headache.

JOHN KESTLY

Established Member
I Just Pulled The Cap And The Plug Came Out W/the Wire.bottom 3 Threads Stripped.what Now?do I Need A New Head.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
Same thing happened to my 2000 GT. Spark plug came loose and stripped the threads. This is one of those BS problems that left me wondering how in the hell it happened to me, but it does happen with aluminum heads. Don't drive it unless absolutly necessary. The two options I know of are a new head or find a good shop that can heli coil the old head. If they know what they are doing it can be fixed good as new. The Ford dealership wouldn't do it but the performance shop near my house did. Man sorry to hear it, I wouldn't wish it on anybody. The sound my GT made when the plug was rattling around in there still makes me cringe.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
JBGK said:
I Just Pulled The Cap And The Plug Came Out W/the Wire.bottom 3 Threads Stripped.what Now?do I Need A New Head.
No, you do not need a new head. You have two options, buy the kit to fix it yourself, of take it to a shop and have them do it. Like I said before, this happened to me. I had to have my car towed to a shop and they fixed it. After towing and the fixed threads, it cost around $600. The TimeSert kit to fix this is about $350 itself.

Check out these threads. Get in touch with ShelbyGuy as well, he did the repair himself.......

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205415

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158337

Good luck!. :beer:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Unfortunately JBGK, you are suffering from a common problem on a lot of Ford modular engines. The two valve motors are even worse. The V10 and Lightning boys have the worst of it, but many of the 4.6 and 5.4 engines blow the plugs out too. You can have an insert installed or you can replace the head. If you decide to replace the head, you need to make damn good and sure you get the latest head that was released in January of this year. That is the ONLY head for these engines that has the fully threaded spark plug hole. DO NOT rely on the Ford parts department to get you the correct head. Call SVT yourself and get the part numbers...and give those to your parts man to order. Now, normally, I would recommend you take the car to a dealer and ask for help. Since this isn't an unusual problem, they may be willing to at least split the bill with you. This is what they did for me when my wife's Expedition did this and it was well out of warranty. Of course, if you're under warranty, it's covered...except for your mods. They will just laugh at you unless you find a VERY friendly dealer. Good luck!

bsmith9165

Established Member
This problem just hit my car also. Ford suggest that u replace the head and it seems to be a very common problem. I have a guy that is going to heli-coil my head and hjopefully this will do the trick but it is a band aid for the problem. Im looking at just replacing the head.

Users who are viewing this thread