Popping/click noise after installing UPR lowers

02_lightning_NP

Air Assault
Established Member
So I finally got around to changing out the Lower control arms on my 08, i bought the UPR lowers and upper as a package deal. I can def feel the difference but when ever i start to take off they pop or click kinda, its pretty noticable. I torqued them down to 125 like they told me to and made sure they were lubed up inside the bushings. I made sure the right ones were on the right side and they were facing the right way, after a couple days of driving on them i even recheck and retightened the bolts. Still pops/ clicks when i take off. and not a continous click or pop just one until u change gears and step back on the gas then it will do it again. Anyone have a similar issue, any idea how to fix it? I havent installed the upper yet im waiting to see how to solve this issue first.

Last edited:

02_lightning_NP

Air Assault
Established Member
yeah the ones that come assembled you normally dont have to lube, the ones that you have to assemble yourself and push/press together u normally do. They came pre lubed i only added a small amount to help the bolt go through so it didnt eat up the bushing because of how tight it was getting on.
Now that im thinking about it. again... is it normal for your rear end to shift backwards slightly when you pop the stock ones off, because i had to fight to get the new ones on. as soon as the first bolt came out the whole side shifted backwards about a half inch and i have to push and pry to get the holes lined up to get the bolt through.

Bulldogger

Established Member
yeah the ones that come assembled you normally dont have to lube, the ones that you have to assemble yourself and push/press together u normally do. They came pre lubed i only added a small amount to help the bolt go through so it didnt eat up the bushing because of how tight it was getting on.
Now that im thinking about it. again... is it normal for your rear end to shift backwards slightly when you pop the stock ones off, because i had to fight to get the new ones on. as soon as the first bolt came out the whole side shifted backwards about a half inch and i have to push and pry to get the holes lined up to get the bolt through.

Yes the rear jump is normal. Did you use new hardware? Did you make sure when you installed the rear bolts that the nut catches or spin stoppers were facing in the right direction? Did you also lower the car and allow it to sit under it's own weight and bounce the suspension one or twice before torquing to spec.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Did you keep it loose till you put the rear under load? You need to preload the suspension then tighten it up. that may help. Is the upper adjustable make sure the adjustment nut is tight and that you have the angle correct. if its off the springs can rub and make noise.

02_lightning_NP

Air Assault
Established Member
Yes the rear jump is normal. Did you use new hardware? Did you make sure when you installed the rear bolts that the nut catches or spin stoppers were facing in the right direction? Did you also lower the car and allow it to sit under it's own weight and bounce the suspension one or twice before torquing to spec.

Did you keep it loose till you put the rear under load? You need to preload the suspension then tighten it up. that may help. Is the upper adjustable make sure the adjustment nut is tight and that you have the angle correct. if its off the springs can rub and make noise.

i used the factory bolts, UPR said it would be alright as long as the bolts looked good and the threads werent messed up. yeah i rechecked the nut stoppers and spin washer thingys and form what i remembered they are pointed in the right direction making sure they arent actually sitting ontop of anything, i moved them to make sure they werent causeing the noise. but i didnt bounce the suspension or let it sit on its own weight before torquing to spec. Ill break em loose and see if that helps. i ordered the relocation brackets from BMR to see if that would help as well sine my car is lowered already. plus once i instal the upper itll help for sure. ill put it under its own weight then retorque after i get new bolts too. thanks yall

02_lightning_NP

Air Assault
Established Member
well got the dealership to look it over today sine i was having my clutch and flywheel replaced anyways. The tech looked it over and said everything was fine and torqued everything down to spec. Left the parking lot and it still makes noise when i give it alittle gas. no idea.
Jeremy Ill call u tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread