Popped a fuse, fixed it, car won't start

LSWHAT??

I have spent the whole day trying to figure this out, maybe someone will have some insight.

My car popped the 30 Amp Cigar lighter fuse in the power distribution box under the hood (Don't ask about my bright wiring idea :idea: ). I replaced the fuse. The car will not start, however it cranks over and sounds normal. I know the car has fuel at the fuel rail as I checked it at the schrader valve. I pulled a spark plug and cranked the car and the plug is not sparking.

I have no spark......... all the fuses are ok under the dash and under the hood. I reset my alarm just to be sure and I checked the fuel shutoff button in the trunk.

any ideas? :read: Thanks

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
haha i was gonna say check the fuel shut off switch in the trunk.

hmmm, check your clutch cable, and the battery connection.

LSWHAT??

greenstang1313, what would the clutch cable have to do with it? I will check it out, kinda confused though.

The battery connections are good.

Thanks for the ideas, have a good one! :beer:

update: The clutch cable is good, it is working properly.

I unhooked the power to the nitrous relays and tried it, still nothin'.

Last edited by a moderator:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
TheAntiRice96 said:
greenstang1313, what would the clutch cable have to do with it? I will check it out, kinda confused though.

a few months ago, me and my friend did the 'fog light mod' on both of our cars, and when we finished my car, it wouldn't start. I changed the starter, checked everything, and it still wouldnt start. I took it to a shop and the guy said there was a bad connection between the clutch and the battery. I never would have guessed but he replaced it and it started right up.

LSWHAT??

Ok, I checked that the actual cable is routed properly and working, how do you go about finding the electrical connection between the battery and the clutch cable. I have been under the car a million times and have probably seen it but my brain is fried!!

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
TheAntiRice96 said:
Ok, I checked that the actual cable is routed properly and working, how do you go about finding the electrical connection between the battery and the clutch cable. I have been under the car a million times and have probably seen it but my brain is fried!!

I honestly don't know dude, I'm sorry. It was the mechanic at the shop that actually diagnosed and fixed the problem.

(arent cars soo much FUN!! :mj: :fm: :mj: )

LSWHAT??

Car is My Daily Driver

This is my daily driver car guys so if anyone else could chime in I would appreciate it!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
The clutch switch is located near the apex of the clutch pedal ... if you are not a "small person," you may have to pull the driver's seat out (15 minute job).

If you had a Haynes Repair Manual (Auto Zone), it would give you some good info on the switch, the circuit, and how to check it :read: . I didn't memorize mine, before I sold the '95, or I could recite it to you :shrug: .

SNAKEYE

Established Member
If the engine cranks ("it cranks over and sounds normal") it's not the starter interlock switch/wiring related to the clutch pedal.
Without looking up wiring diagrams I'd venture a guess at a PCM problem possibly related to you having blown that BIG fuse (I won't ask about your bright wiring idea) .

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
what exactly WAS your wiring idea? it may help us resolve your problem...

i had a very similar problem with my car. turned out i fried my ECU. i had to have it towed to Ford, have a new ECU installed, and reprogram 2 keys.

LSWHAT??

Well............... The previous owner installed a Clifford Intelliguard 8000 alarm system on the car and wired in one of the led lights to the power side of the cigar lighter. It was late at night and I was having some issues with my nitrous system so I decided to go through the wiring and make sure everything was ok. The wire that I used as the 12V (18 gauge Blue) was what I thought the problem was. I decided to run the 12V Ignition wire from the arming switch into the cigar lighter power side (DEE DEE DEE! :bash: ) but failed to realize it was hot all the time. As I was putting my switch panel back in to place I hit the purge button with my big fingers and it purged and popped the fuse.

Now the car won't start :cuss: and I've embarrassed myself :loser:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
if the alarm wires are connected to the ECU without a fuse in htere, then you most likely fried it.
what the hell you need an alram for anyway? no one pays any attention to them when they are going off for 5 minutes at a time, and thieves can by-pass them anyway.

call your Ford dealer.

LSWHAT??

What did your new ECU cost you? It isn't fused on the backside?!! I didn't wire into the alarm system, I unhooked the led and wired directly into the cigar lighter that sits under the radio and cd player.

Damn I'm an idiot.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
my ECU i bought on Ebay. cost me about $100. i made the mistake of trying to install a chip myself. i installed the chip, the car started right up, then stalled. did this 3 times, then it wouldn't start at all! i was out there for hours trying every trick in the book. had to have it towed to ford. they told me my ECU was BLANK! they tried to reprogram it, but it would hold the program.

call Ford, they may be able to reprogram your ECU.

BOTLFED98

Established Member
is that 30A fuse that you changed the big honkin yellow one? i had a problem popping one of the huge ones in the fuse box underneath the hood.............make sure you check all of them, INCLUDING THE HUGE ONES!

Users who are viewing this thread