PoorBoy's SSR 2.5

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Is this stuff hard to apply and remove by hand? I currently do not have a Porter Cable but will be investing in one fairly soon! Can a regular wax applicator pad and micofiber cloth to remove it be sufficient? Thanks

Juiced-03

Established Member
Honestly, I don't think you should use it by hand. 2.5 is similar to Meguiars DACP and it will haze expecially on darker colors. You really need the power of a machine to get that haze out with your next step polish. You might be able to get away with 2.5 by hand, but I really would not recommend it. Are you at the point where you need a stronger polish like 2.5?

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Well, I wanted to get some of the swirls out of my black exterior so I bought some SSR 2.5. I wasn't sure what else would work so I took a few guys advice on here. So I should wait to get a PC? "shrug:

Juiced-03

Established Member
You should wait. Your results will be MUCH better and your finish should be flawless. The PC will be able to work the 2.5 into the paint better than your hand. Just be sure to follow up the 2.5 with something a little less aggressive. Then top with your sealant or glaze and/or carnuaba.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
Where can I get a PC from for a pretty decent price?

I got mine as a gift for Christmas. It was $79 from Lowes, but now they are back to $100. Still a decent price when you can pick it up locally though.

Scott P

Established Member
SSR2.5 works best by machine. It can be used by hand, it it does take a bit of work. The PC at Lowe's is the one to get. Give me a call when you need pads and a backing plate.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I did mine w/ SSR 2.5 with a top of NXT (stuff sucks but I'm using it up) on a 98 Expedition that had swirl marks like an ice rink and egg damage and it turned out pretty good. I also will be investing in the Lowe's PC.
xg9jp

xg9kg

xga6f

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
03yllwguy, so you did it by hand then?
Yup, by hand, I was happy with the results. I am by NO means a pro at detailing like the others here, but it seemed to have worked for me.

spree

Established Member
definitely get the PC. I never tried using it by hand, but I don't see how it would break down effectively by doing it by hand.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
spree said:
definitely get the PC. I never tried using it by hand, but I don't see how it would break down effectively by doing it by hand.
I'm not saying that you don't need one, I'm getting one asap, I just thought I would try it at the time...

spree

Established Member
03yllwguy said:
I'm not saying that you don't need one, I'm getting one asap, I just thought I would try it at the time...

yeah, I gotcha. The thing with SSR 2.5 is that you want to work it in until it starts to dust...so unless you've got a hand that moves mighty fast, that would take a while :D

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
:lol:

Well it says right on the bottle you can use it by hand or machine....:shrug: I'll get the PC but I'm kinda anxious to see how it does work by hand now!

Scott P

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Hey scott, how much is the backing plate? I need one for my PC!

I have a 5.75" backing plate for $14.95. My goal is to have my new site up and running very soon, so everyone will be able to purchase online.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
You can't break down SSR by hand....use the PC and you'll see a night and day difference!

Users who are viewing this thread