Pony logo on 2014 GT500 Instrument Panel Display???

cpt1200a

I have found a 2014 GT500 on-line that I might be interested in buying, but I noticed that the pictures showing the console have the pony logo on the instrument panel in the display between the gauges over the steering column. It was my understanding that this logo was replaced with the Shelby snake logo in the software by the end of the manufacturing run for the 2013 model.

According to the dealership and Carfax, this car has had no significant work done on it. I'm wondering if I can believe this. Has anyone else encountered a 2014 GT500 with the original factory equipment that has the pony logo on this display instead of the snake?

My plan is to have an inspection done and have have the shop compare the VIN number from the software with that of the car, but I'd rather not waste the time if there's pretty much a 100% chance that this car has had some questionable tinkering done to it.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I don't think Ford went with the Cobra until March 2013. Check the build date and see if it was manufactured before Apr 2013. 2014 production started in late Jan 2013.

NewYorkJon34

Established Member
I just found a fix for this issue as mine was the same as yours. Buy a new cluster from Ford parts at your local dealer, give them the vin of a 2014 that has the cobra, tell them your mileage you want on the new cluster, have them install and reprogram the old keys so it works. And that's it

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just found a fix for this issue as mine was the same as yours. Buy a new cluster from Ford parts at your local dealer, give them the vin of a 2014 that has the cobra, tell them your mileage you want on the new cluster, have them install and reprogram the old keys so it works. And that's it

I remember you from the first thread about this..you were heated. lol

How much is a new cluster?

Snoopy49

Established Member

How will this affect your car when it goes in for service? Will the new VIN show up when they plug into the port to check the car? When you run a health report on the car will it show the original VIN or the new one? If you are running a tune that was written for the original VIN, will it work with the new VIN?

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
How much is a new cluster?

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - P/N DR3Z-10849-JA - 5.8 LITER, TO 3/13 - $550.67 plus shipping and a $300.00 core charge.
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - P/N ER3Z-10849-JA - 5.8 LITER, FROM 4/13 - $574.88 plus shipping and a $300.00 core charge.

Last edited:

NewYorkJon34

Established Member
The tune won't get affected because it's essential the same exact car/mods. Lol I was heated indeed, but it's such an easy fix I can't believe the dealer didn't think of it. It's somewhat pricey but it's something that's bothered me for a long time.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - P/N DR3Z-10849-JA - $550.67 plus shipping and a $300.00 core charge.

That is the one with the Mustang logo. The snake cluster is ER3Z-10849-JA. You can order that cluster with your own vin so no issues. Also all readers read the PCM vin, so no issues...

LEXiiON

Snoopy49

Established Member
That is the one with the Mustang logo. The snake cluster is ER3Z-10849-JA. You can order that cluster with your own vin so no issues. Also all readers read the PCM vin, so no issues...

LEXiiON

I was hoping you would chime in. If you have a 2013 can you order one with your VIN and just plug and play? Where is the mileage and other info stored, in the PCM or the cluster? Is there any information stored in the cluster or is it just a dumb display?

CLUSTER ASSY - Ford (ER3Z-10849-JA) - 5.8 LITER, FROM 4/13 - $574.88 plus shipping and a $300.00 core charge.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
I was hoping you would chime in. If you have a 2013 can you order one with your VIN and just plug and play? Where is the mileage and other info stored, in the PCM or the cluster? Is there any information stored in the cluster or is it just a dumb display?

CLUSTER ASSY - Ford (ER3Z-10849-JA) - 5.8 LITER, FROM 4/13 - $574.88 plus shipping and a $300.00 core charge.

Mileage and key IDs are stored in the cluster. Once you swap, you need to program the keys to the new cluster.
I ordered mine with my 2010GT VIN, so it came with everything disabled. Ford puts the as-built data from your VIN in your cluster when you order it.

LEXiiON

Snoopy49

Established Member
I think I will pass on the $900 snake. The Pony works for me. Just in case I run across a cheap 14 cluster, can it be programed with my cars VIN and mileage and will I be able to program my keys to the used cluster?
Thanks for your help.

crucianpilot

Feel the need for speed!
Established Member
I think I will pass on the $900 snake. The Pony works for me. Just in case I run across a cheap 14 cluster, can it be programed with my cars VIN and mileage and will I be able to program my keys to the used cluster?
Thanks for your help.

Core charge is refunded when you turn in the old cluster. So its $600 not $900.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Core charge is refunded when you turn in the old cluster. So its $600 not $900.

I guess it depends on what value you place on your old cluster? What's a like new cluster with 6,000 miles worth? Check on eBay and see what used clusters are selling for. The only upgrade is trading a Pony for a Snake.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks for your help.

You need to send it to a company that can change the mileage. United Radio can do this. Then you use IDS to update the as-built data and program your keys.

LEXiiON

Belgrrr427

How about getting the Cobra display on the radio?

Users who are viewing this thread