Polyurethane Bushing Creak

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Hello all,

So I’ve been experiencing a creak from my rear end for awhile now. A low speeds whenever there is a weight transfer I️ hear a creak. I’m 95% sure I️ zoned in on the source of my problem in that the creaking is caused by the poly bushings on my BMR LCA. I️ have the adjustable unit with one poly and one rod end bushing style.

I️ eventually brought her to a shop for an unrelated job and had them check it out. They were able to stop the creaking 100%...for about a week. Slowly but surely the creaking came back and as time elapses I‎t seems to get worse. This morning I️ added 2 pumps of grease to all the poly bushings except my UCA because I‎t looked like I‎t would be a little bit of a hassle with little gain to come of I‎t (the shop focused on my LCA and successfully stopped the creaking). That proved to be a waste of energy as she still creaks.

I’ve read some threads and seems that it’s not an uncommon characteristic of this bushing style. I’m pretty close to just throwing some money away and getting rod end LCA’s (on both sides) and calling I‎t a day.

But before I️ do that I figured I’d ask the forum if anyone here has had success in keeping the poly style bushings silent and how they managed the feat?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Damn, seems the iPhone glitch wrecked that post....I’ll edit the post on my computer later today

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
What are you lubing them with? Don't use anything that is petroleum based because it breaks down the bushing over time. Use a synthetic, waterproof grease. If the bushings are already compromised, purchase a new set of bushings. If they're squeaking after lubing them, I'd just replace them. BMR sells replacement bushings. If someone else services your car, make sure they're not using petroleum grease on all the grease zerks.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
What are you lubing them with? Don't use anything that is petroleum based because it breaks down the bushing over time. Use a synthetic, waterproof grease. If the bushings are already compromised, purchase a new set of bushings. If they're squeaking after lubing them, I'd just replace them. BMR sells replacement bushings. If someone else services your car, make sure they're not using petroleum grease on all the grease zerks.

Unfortunately I️’ve used Autozone All-Purpose grease.... you think it would break down in just 10 months? Suspension pieces all went on in late January this year.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I think it's possible. I've had poly bushings in my car for 5 years. I've run them on a number of vehicles over the years. If your bushings are squeaking after lubing them, something is wrong. I'd at least remove the bushings and inspect them. They can break. Even if the petroleum is starting to eat up the bushing, hard use can finish them off.

Philitup

04 Cobra, 68 Fastback, 17 Focus RS
Established Member
I had poly bushing on a bunch of adjustable suspension parts in the rear of my 15 eco. Used to make noise all the time. Filled them up with some good red grease and it seemed to hold for a while but it definitely doesnt last forever.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
OP, I had the exact same issue. I also have the combo BMR LCA's. That squeak you're hearing is from the rod end. I squirted a little penetrating oil on it, and wiped off the excess. Squeak gone. They say you're not supposed to lube them though.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
OP, I had the exact same issue. I also have the combo BMR LCA's. That squeak you're hearing is from the rod end. I squirted a little penetrating oil on it, and wiped off the excess. Squeak gone. They say you're not supposed to lube them though.

I️ would say it’s more a creak than a squeak....I️ thought about spraying them with something but never have. I️ shot an email over to the bmr guys to see what they recommend. Used the wrong grease so probably going to replace all the poly bushings lol

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I had poly bushing on a bunch of adjustable suspension parts in the rear of my 15 eco. Used to make noise all the time. Filled them up with some good red grease and it seemed to hold for a while but it definitely doesnt last forever.
I know Mobil 1's synthetic grease is red. I don't think it's truly waterproof. It also separates over time in the cartridges, so I have to think it does the same in a bushing. I've had pretty good luck with something called Green Grease which is available in a cartridge for a grease gun. I know the Prothane grease (the thick sticky stuff) comes in a cartridge too, but it's not cheap and not so easy to find.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I️ shot an email over to the bmr guys to see what they recommend. Used the wrong grease so probably going to replace all the poly bushings lol
If you're going to replace the bushings, I'd get the 8 oz stuff Energy Suspension sells, Formula 5 prelube grease and use that in the reassembly. You can hardly get this stuff off your hands so it doesn't wash away easily.

2001SVT

Established Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ding, ding, ding,
Yes sir, have used this on all the poly bushings on my 08 and have never had any noise from them. This lube is thick, tried using it with a grease gun (they do sell it in a tube) but could not get it to work. Ended up buying a larger tub (from Jeg's I believe) and putting it on buy hand.

Users who are viewing this thread