Poll: Would this prevent you from buying a Viper? *pic*

Would this prevent you from buying the car?

• Yes, i wouldn't touch the car with a 10 foot pole!

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I'd still buy it if the price was right but i'd get it fixed immediatly.

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • I'd still buy it if the price was right and it'd annoy the hell out of me but i'd never fix it

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

launchnukes

Crazy SVT Person
Established Member
I was looking at a final edition 02 viper the other day and the car was perfect and the price was ok but there is one problem that's annoying the hell out of me. there is a crack in the paint on the hood (from the fiberglass flexing i guess) it's about 4 inches long it goes 3/4 of the way through a stripe and into the hood. I'm still considering buying the car if the price is right but i'm concerned about resale. if you were buying this car how would you feel?

anyonw know a way to fix this with out repainting the hood?

crappy pic taken with a camera phone.

scratchwx1.jpg

ragu1585

Game Over
Established Member
if you got the money to buy that car then u got the money to take care of that problem. i say do it!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
launchnukes said:
I was looking at a final edition 02 viper the other day and the car was perfect and the price was ok but there is one problem that's annoying the hell out of me. there is a crack in the paint on the hood (from the fiberglass flexing i guess) it's about 4 inches long it goes 3/4 of the way through a stripe and into the hood. I'm still considering buying the car if the price is right but i'm concerned about resale. if you were buying this car how would you feel?

scratchwx1.jpg

the crack is a result of someone closing the hood in a improper way. the crack is more than just the paint. the crack is in the hood itself. gen-2 viper hoods are BIG bux. i would ask the seller to take the price down to meet the price to repair the problem.

Last edited:

snake134

Fast Freddy said:
the crack is a result of someone closing the hood in a improper way. the crack is more than just the paint. the crack is in the hood itself. gen-2 viper hoods are BIG bux. i would ask the seller to take the price down to meet the price to repair the problem.
you have a lot of toys dont you....vettes, vipers, ford gt....wow

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Fast Freddy said:

+1 A new OEM hood is ~14k:eek:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
snake134 said:
you have a lot of toys dont you....vettes, vipers, ford gt....wow

yep. i have way to many and so lately i have been trying to sell a few of them. i sold 2 quads and a boat last year. and i am gonna sell my sandrail this year and an old race car that i haven't used in 7 years.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
launchnukes said:

scratchwx1.jpg
Nice,
Unless you want to pay for a complete hood reapaint, a paintshop with skills can fix it.
Besides, unless you're a Z06 clear bra dude, the paint will be messed up soon.
think I'll keep my car.
Jeff

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
NewKid said:

Yup:xpl:

From the 05 Daimlerchrysler crash estimating data issue;
HOODS
92-93= $4,775
93-94= $7,850
95-96= $7,800
97-98= $15,475
GTS 96-98= $14,910
All 99-02= $18,450

Decent used ones are $5-7k

A new OEM GTS hood, finished with a good paint job will run close to $20k

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
well yeah, the hood accounts for almost 40% of the entire exterior bodywork.

you cant buy a $80K car and complain about $20k to fix half the front end.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Because it's so big, and is both the hood and front fenders. Fiberglass is expensive, and to manufacture something that large to tight dimensional tolerances with no waves in it is real tough.

Replica hoods can be had for much cheaper.

That's why they can total a viper that only has front fascia and hood damage. You're looking at $25-30k in repairs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread