Poll: Does your car have a "tick"?

jweems10

Established Member
i have seen people on a few different forums complain of this issue. mine ticks when the engine is warmed up and happens between 800-2000 rpm and has since new although i didnt notice it right away. it is a lot worse with the a/c on. just wanted to get a feel for how many people are having this issue and how many have taken the car to the dealer to have it checked out. also, if you have a vid or sound clip please post it.

does your car have a tick when warmed up between 800-2000 rpm(worse with a/c on)?
what is your build date?
have you taken it in for service because of the tick(if so what was your experience)?

:pop:

jweems10

Established Member
it doesnt really sound like an exhaust leak...more of like a lifter tick but seems to be coming from the bottom/back of the motor. it does get worse with increasing rpm(up to around 2000 rpm) but is still intermittent. it will tick for a while...go away for a few secs...then come back. also, i wonder why it would be worse with the a/c on? def a weird noise to diagnose. i wish ford would just come clean with what part is causing the tick if they know.

build date 06/10
1300 miles on the odometer but has been doing it pretty much since new

SVT_4_me

Established Member
i haven't noticed anything from my car, but i still have under 200 miles (built 8/10). i will pay close attention the next time i drive it and pull back in my garage. i will report back...

Tispho

Established Member
Yes my car has a tick, its better than our 4runner 1grfe though which also has ticking problems too.

Must be the vct/vvt design.

jweems10

Established Member
this is louder than injectors and maybe more of a clanking than a quiet tick...so loud when people hear it they are like wtf :dw:

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
my 04 mach1 had a ticking problem that was diagnosed as being a bad lifter/follower. they replaced the left head and was fine. But this is a completely different valvetrain design, which is made to handle higher rpms and is more durable. Do you have a auto or manual? if its a manual it could be a clutch issue.

Stangman@SM

UBENB10
Established Member
I only have 300 miles, but if I am in a drive thru next to a wall, I have heard a slight tick at idle. But it could be lifters or like someone said, injectors.

It is very slight.

jweems10

Established Member
i hear the injector noise as well...this is not what i am talking about. this tick is very loud and people notice it and only happens after driving the car for 15-20 mins.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
jweems,

BTW, I believe the A/C connection is less to do with the A/C and more to do with the load the A/C puts on the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread