POLL: Do you think this is a proper way to connect a MAF to an intake tube???

Do you think the way the MAF is connected to this intake tube is jacked up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rocket5979

Established Member
Ok, now I already know the answer to this but I wanted to post it here to let you guys have the chance give your opinions and feedback.

The question is: What you do think about the way the MAFS is "connected" to the intake tube in this picture??? Do you see anything wrong with this? Any way it could possibly leak unmetered air into the the intake?

Take a look at these pictures and let me know if you think this is a jacked up way to connect a MAFS to an intake tube. My reccomendation was to just put a simple silicone or rubber connector with two hose clamps between the rear of the MAFS and the intake tube so as to provide a proper seal to prevent unmetered air. As you can see from the pics the MAFS is just literally stuck onto the tube. Hahahaha.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
Oops, DP. Oh well, just tell me what you think of that setup. Personally I think it is jacked up without a connector on there.

Last edited:

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
he means a clamp around the lil rubber piece thats connected to the inlet tube...

rocket5979

Established Member
RedfireVNM said:
he means a clamp around the lil rubber piece thats connected to the inlet tube...

There is no rubber piece. The MAF housing itself is literally just pushed onto the end of the intake tube. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that with ha little duct tape and 3 sticks of juicy fruit it will be good to go!!! :lol1:

I just have to laugh at such a retarded setup. :lol:

Last edited:

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that when motors are really spinning, they are sucking air in HARD. Even if you can't feasibly see it leaking somewhere, its morer than likely going to when you get into it. As rinky-dink as that setup looks, it will probably be allright, so long as you clamp all surfaces down with some real hose clamps, and check to make sure they're tight often. Also, dont use a metal-to-metal seal: be sure to engineer a way for a rubber dampener to be used between all hard mating surfaces.

I can't comment on the aesthetics of this intake, but from a sheer functionality standpoint, I suppose it would work. That metal tube is gonna act like an oven, and cook your nice, cool, fresh air before it ever has a chance to get to the motor.

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Zorabot said:
Junk/garbage, looks like a JLT.......

What about it looks like a JLT, other than there is a straight piece of intake pipe connected to a MAF and filter? :dw: Jay's design use properly coupled/clamped connections.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
Snarf said:
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that when motors are really spinning, they are sucking air in HARD. Even if you can't feasibly see it leaking somewhere, its morer than likely going to when you get into it. As rinky-dink as that setup looks, it will probably be allright, so long as you clamp all surfaces down with some real hose clamps, and check to make sure they're tight often. Also, dont use a metal-to-metal seal: be sure to engineer a way for a rubber dampener to be used between all hard mating surfaces.

I can't comment on the aesthetics of this intake, but from a sheer functionality standpoint, I suppose it would work. That metal tube is gonna act like an oven, and cook your nice, cool, fresh air before it ever has a chance to get to the motor.

Yes, that is the key issue which is to clamp every surface down and to also make sure that hard surfaces are connected by a soft rubber or silicone connector. Hard plastic on metal or metal on hard plastic is not a proper connection to be securing with just a hose clamp as the hose clamp will not have enough force to actually deform either one of those enough to clamp it on. Also a hose clamp onto the rear of the MAF housing itself is not good due to it being hard ABS plastic which is not very malleable and will crack before clamping down with much force.

The reason I posted this thread is because I have some fella from another forum attempting to tell me that this is a proper way to attach a MAF sensor to an intake tube. As has been established in here it is not the proper way to do so because even when it may hold a somewhat decent seal when at idle the engine will tweak at WOT and will cause the MAF to pull away from the tube itself causing a leak of unmetered air going into the engine. As we all know that will cause a lean condition.

MAC Performance as well as others make CAI's with metal intake tubes so I didn't really intend that to be the debate here as that is its own thread topic. My problem with that intake setup is the improper connection of the MAF sensor to the intake tube itself. What is shown in the pictures is a big nono. What is really rediculous is that the person who actually sells those intakes pictured in the first post tells people to install them like that without a connector or anything.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
What about it looks like a JLT, other than there is a straight piece of intake pipe connected to a MAF and filter? :dw: Jay's design use properly coupled/clamped connections.

Allot of people talk crap about JLT but like you said, at least Jay ensures that proper connection of the pieces within the intake system takes place. This is not a JLT this is an off brand that most of you do not know of in here.

Users who are viewing this thread