Polishing suggestions

jhein2580

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has had good luck with polishing our wheels? I bought a second set for autocross rims and I have started the refinishing process. My plan is to have the top lip polished and the fins or blades painted to a gloss black. The center cap area will also be polished because I can not run with center caps at the track.
So now that I have the old paint and primer removed and it is down to cast aluminum, I was wondering how much hand sanding is needed until I can hit it with some polishing tools? Does the surface need to look like a mirror first or just minor sanding marks required? I guess my question is what grade grit should be used last before the polishing can begin? Is wet sanding required or is dry sanding good? Hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You'll want to wet sand, as aluminum dust really clogs the paper. Hope you are ready for some hard work, as the wheels are a PITA due to the contoured surfaces.

Since you are painting the center section, it will be easier, as you can use a good filling primer to fill the pits and pores on the spokes.

I'd start out with 220 grit, and work my way up to 1000 grit, then a good buffing compound. You'll want to get the spokes ready first (primed) then get the lip polished out. Then tape and paint the spokes. Then clear the whole wheel.

jhein2580

Established Member
Thanks, sounds like good advise. Why do you think I should primer before I start the polish?
Thanks for the quick response.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Only primer on the spokes that are going to be painted. Don't primer on the polished part. :D

You'll also want to tape off VERY carefully, so the black paint will blend seamlessly into the outer lip.

jhein2580

Established Member
Okay,

Maybe I am just stupid, but what is the advantage of primer before I polish. I understood that I would not primer the polish area but thanks for making that clear. :) If I primer first I would have to mask off twice? Once to primer then once to paint? Please advise.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Reason why I say to prime first is that you'll need to prime, then sand, then prime, then sand until all the pores/pits are filled on the spokes. Sometimes, during that process, you might get a little wild while sanding and go further out on the lip than you mean to. If that happens, you get to repolish the lip.

Once you get than part done, you'll start the polishing process. Heck, you don't even have to tape the lip off, as the primer will come right off with a little elbow grease, plus it will let you see if you have any imperfections during the polishing process. Sanding on the lip will give you a nice straight line after the primer comes off, without leaving a thick, bumpy primer line.

After the lip is polished, then go back and tape the lip off GOOD. Then spray with a good black basecoat. Remove the masking tape. Fine sand the black line where it transitions to the polished lip. you don't want an obvious seam, so just knock the edge down. Look it over for any trash and in the base and sand any trash out. Then you are ready for the clear. Clear the WHOLE rim, and it should be golden, without ever having to polish the lip again.

Users who are viewing this thread