Polishing coolant tanks / power steering tanks question

LEESTOYSTANG

Established Member
Has anyone polished their aftermarket coolant tanks / power steering tank?? If so how much time did you put into it ?? and what all products did you use.. I am debating between chroming or polishing.. Thanks for your help guys..

5.0 guy

Established Member
Had my Pfab powder coated with blk gloss after deciding not to chrome, it looks awsome and almost factory.

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Aluminum Polishing

I haven't done any of the tanks yet (as I don't have them), but I always prefer the polished look of aluminum. Chrome is much less upkeep, but doesn't look as good (in my opinion).

I have polished several motorcycle frames, wheels, and swingarms over the years. There really isn't any trick to it, just patience.

If whatever you are trying to polish is clear coated or anodized in any way, that has to be taken off. I have no idea if these tanks are or not. There are several companies that can acid dip them and/or otherwise strip the coating. I don't believe these have anything like that...but it's something to check.

Once the aluminum is "raw" then you start sanding it smooth. Start with the finest wet sandpaper that will get the scratches/swirls out in the finish (typically 400/800)...then after each time go up to the next higher level until you get the smoothness you want. The more time you spend on this, the better the finish will look. You can use a power sander/wheel for this if the surfaces are very flat, but you have to be careful to avoid any swirls that will show up a lot once polished.

Once the sanding is all done, and the surface is as smooth as possible (very smooth is the idea), then you get out your favorite Aluminum polish. I always used Mother's paste, but I have since found the whole "powerball" w/ liquid Mothers works very well....especially for complex surfaces like wheels. You rub in the polish until it turns really black, and keep going over the section...then wipe it off with a clean rag (you go through quite a few). After working the polish in good, you wipe it off then buff with yet another rag and you have a very good polished finish. Once all done with the initial polish, go over it again with new rags and really buff it out. You are left with a super mirror finish that will last quite a while.

Any future polishing only requires a quick wipe with Mother's and buff...right back to the mirror you had before. Just keep any cleaners off of it or you are back to square one.

Others may have some more effiecient methods, but the "old fashion way" always works good.

Either way, please post pics when you are done!

jcthorne

Established Member
I think the chrome, when done properly on polished aluminium looks great. The upkeep is much easier to live with on a daily driver too. Here are my tanks:

P2272362.jpg

Photo_022008_002.jpg

Photo_022008_001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread