Polishing 101

flyby763

Established Member
Want to try to poliah out some scratches and swirl marks on the lady's ride but havent done it before. Anybody know of any tips or tricks for newbies? Recommendations on a DA polisher?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Depends on what you want to spend.... IMO Griots Garage makes the best DA for the $ right now. PC makes a great DA too. If you want to spend a little more get a Flex 3401- powerful, corrects extremely well- better than the GG IMO. For Pads get Hexlogic or, Micro Fiber, or Lake Country. Products- I really like the V series from Chemical Guys or M105/205 from Meguiars. The Pinnacle and WolfGang lines from AutoGeeks are pretty good too.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Damn someone has a secret obsession^ haha When I get time I want to learn how to detail correctly because my mothers benz has more swirls then Dairy Queen.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Secret obsession? .... Well I am a professional detailer who really enjoys and am good at my chosen vocation. I know what products work well so when people ask for advice i try to help based on my experience. I don't know if that's an obsession.

RC-5.0

Established Member
I get most of my supplies from Adams Polishes, but even if you dont buy from them, take a look at their vids:

Instructional Detailing Videos

That's how I got started. I do fine with the Porter Cable, and it's a great machine for beginners. I find that the correction is more on the technique and not so much the "stuff" you use.

Let us know how it goes.
RC

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I get most of my supplies from Adams Polishes, but even if you dont buy from them, take a look at their vids:

That's how I got started. I do fine with the Porter Cable, and it's a great machine for beginners. I find that the correction is more on the technique and not so much the "stuff" you use.

Let us know how it goes.
RC

This is very true- technique is the most important part of the equation. That being said, different products and tools can make your job easier and faster. True story!!

RC-5.0

Established Member
This is very true- technique is the most important part of the equation. That being said, different products and tools can make your job easier and faster. True story!!

salute-flag.jpg

flyby763

Established Member
Depends on what you want to spend.... IMO Griots Garage makes the best DA for the $ right now. PC makes a great DA too. If you want to spend a little more get a Flex 3401- powerful, corrects extremely well- better than the GG IMO. For Pads get Hexlogic or, Micro Fiber, or Lake Country. Products- I really like the V series from Chemical Guys or M105/205 from Meguiars. The Pinnacle and WolfGang lines from AutoGeeks are pretty good too.

Thanks, I was originally looking at the Porter Cable but that Griots looks good too.

Let us know how it goes.
RC

I am definitely looking at the Adams as I have some of their Americana wax, and other products.

Any tips on technique from anybody?

UncleDan

Established Member
I am definitely looking at the Adams as I have some of their Americana wax, and other products.

Yes. Your technique is what matters, not the product. Adams is good, and I have some of their polishes too. What I can't stand is when people get religiously devoted to one brand and think they're the end all be all.

Gee... how did we ever detail cars before THAT particular brand of product came along...?

Meguiar's 105/205 is also an excellent two step polish combo. You get the same results, and what it really comes down to a lot of times is price. Some of these boutique brands are charging prices for detail sprays and waxes that are an outright rip off. But they know they have a huge fan base who will buy their stuff because they're devoted to the brand. Don't fall into that.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Thanks, I was originally looking at the Porter Cable but that Griots looks good too.

For technique - before we get there we need to start with the wash and paint prep. Do either a 2 bucket wash or the Garry Dean Wash Method. Then clay your paint (you can also use a NanoSkin towel or mitt during the wash). Once your paint is clean AND contaminant free you are ready to correct your paint. First do a test spot with various pads/products to see what is going to work for your situation. You always want to start with the least aggressive method and go from there. Work 12X12 inch to 16X16 inch areas until you've completed the entire car. After each area you will want to inspect it to make sure you've achieved the desired results. For correction you will want to do 6-8 section passes on speed 5-6 with 12-15 lbs of pressure. Watch these vids by Mike Phillips- he's a pro detailer who has been in the biz for 30+ yrs. just do what he does. Much easier than explaining everything step by step.

Picking the right polisher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtrdTvnZX3I

The right technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUHRnHsSXZU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxwlWijdIxM

Last edited:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Get on Youtube, search for chemical guys... they have some decent informative videos.

There are some haters, but Chemical Guys will teach you what you need to know as an enthusiast.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Yes. Your technique is what matters, not the product. Adams is good, and I have some of their polishes too. What I can't stand is when people get religiously devoted to one brand and think they're the end all be all.

Gee... how did we ever detail cars before THAT particular brand of product came along...?

Meguiar's 105/205 is also an excellent two step polish combo. You get the same results, and what it really comes down to a lot of times is price. Some of these boutique brands are charging prices for detail sprays and waxes that are an outright rip off. But they know they have a huge fan base who will buy their stuff because they're devoted to the brand. Don't fall into that.

I agree to an extent. One thought though. While there are a few products that are almost universally agreed upon by most detailers, M105/205 for example, everyone has a preference as to what products they use. The great Mike Phillips coined a phrase "find a product that you like and use it often" - IOW's IF it works for YOU, then by all means use it. I personally found that Chemical Guys products (most of them anyway) work REALLY well for me and my business- they do what they advertise and the price point is well within my range. RC-5.0 and a few others here use Adams Products because THOSE products work well for them.

OP - a few things to think about when it comes to products. Just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's the best or better than other products. That's number one. Number 2 - I stay away from OTC products unless I have no alternative - pro products with few exceptions work better than your store bought products. 3rd - get products that are concentrated. If used properly, you will save a bunch of money by buying these types of products- note, you can't get polishes, compounds, or waxes in concentrate form. At least there are none that I know of.

OP- Check out AutoGeek - it's a detailing forum that is dedicated to answering your in depth detailing questions. While I've been detailing for 20 yrs, I certainly don't know everything- I still learn something every time I go to that site.

Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Last edited:

UncleDan

Established Member
I agree to an extent. One thought though. While there are a few products that are almost universally agreed upon by most detailers, M105/205 for example, everyone has a preference as to what products they use. The great Mike Phillips coined a phrase "find a product that you like and use it often" - IOW's IF it works for YOU, then by all means use it. I personally found that Chemical Guys products (most of them anyway) work REALLY well for me and my business- they do what they advertise and the price point is well within my range. RC-5.0 and a few others here use Adams Products because THOSE products work well for them.Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum

I agree. Their products do work, and they should. If their happy and it works for them, then they are good to go! I just switched to Garry Dean's detail spray and I'm in love. I also just tried his spray sealant and I'm loving that too. Gotta shop around and find stuff that you like is all. That detail spray is a grand slam considering how much I use.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Can't really add much more than what's been added, and cant describe in text better than those videos will show. My "tip" regarding the technique is get the pressure right and don't move your machine around too quickly...let the machine do the work. If you are using a true DA like Griot's or PC, you dont have to really worry about moving the machine so quickly. As mentioned, do a test area to get comfortable.

Good Luck
RC

03svtwantob

Established Member
Want to try to poliah out some scratches and swirl marks on the lady's ride but havent done it before. Anybody know of any tips or tricks for newbies? Recommendations on a DA polisher?

Good info here would just like to add. How deep are the scratches? Generally if you can catch a fingernail in them by scratching at it then you will not polish them out. Will have to be painted. As far as swirls I use 3m ultrafina with blue waffle pad. Works good for me removing swirls from fresh black paint. Keep it wet and keep it moving. Stay off corners.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I agree. Their products do work, and they should. If their happy and it works for them, then they are good to go! I just switched to Garry Dean's detail spray and I'm in love. I also just tried his spray sealant and I'm loving that too. Gotta shop around and find stuff that you like is all. That detail spray is a grand slam considering how much I use.

I just got my GD shipment the other day- I plan on using it on a detail next weekend. Can't wait:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread