pointers installig longtubes

raptorgabe

Established Member
well ordered some longtubes and offroad h pipe any pointers on install? going on my 14 5.0! also what mufflers will sound the best with that setup ? have hearthrob deletes now obviously they will have to change ! im doing it on jackstangs in my garage so any good tips would be appreciated !

Nuar

Established Member
Drop the K member and let it hang on the front suspension. The rear section will swing down and you will have all the room you need.
Jack the motor up by placing the jack under the transmission (on the ribbed part) with a block of wood between the jack and the tranny. Unbolt the transmission cross member bolts to let the engine travel up far enough.
The Passenger side engine mount has a ground strap on it that WILL MAKE YOU HATE YOUR LIFE. That thing is a complete BITCH to take off for MOST people (myself included). It's a long bolt, with a nut on it, then the wire is on top of that nut and another nut sandwitches the wire on there.
When putting the aftermarket headers into place you will have to remove a few of the studs to get the headers into place (some people don't have to, I could not get my header into place no matter how much I tried until I removed some of the interfering studs).
I recommend you use all your stock studs and nuts, as well as the stock (new) exhaust manifold gaskets.
Starter bolts are easy with a tiny ratchet an extension and a deep socket.
Ratcheting wrench is your friend for the header nuts.
Arm yourself with loooooots of patience and don't be affraid to walk away a few times when you get too frustrated.
And finally....

[youtube_browser]mGHKcDh3rfc[/youtube_browser]

Nuar

Established Member
One more thing.
After the install if you have play in the steering wheel, you installed the steering shaft bolt backwards.

pickles

Established Member
Put away anything fragile in the event you begin launching tools across the garage in frustration.

raptorgabe

Established Member
I hope it's not to bad lol I've done a turbo and fuel pump on my 6.7 can't be to much worse than that can it ! I've watched videos about 5 times but they make it look easy ! I was gonna do just a h pipe but I figured screw if do it all at once and be done

raptorgabe

Established Member
So dropping cross member is way easier ? Would I still have to remove studs ? My car has 4K miles so u think stock gaskets will be fine ?

vortecd

Established Member
Nuar pretty much explained it. I didn't unbolt the trans member or have to take out any studs so may depend on the header brand. You may have to push the motor towards the driver side to get the passenger side onto the studs. It is no where near as bad as some make it sound

Speedwagon

Established Member
well ordered some longtubes and offroad h pipe any pointers on install? going on my 14 5.0! also what mufflers will sound the best with that setup ? have hearthrob deletes now obviously they will have to change ! im doing it on jackstangs in my garage so any good tips would be appreciated !

Go with Corsa Extreme axle back mufflers. I had them on my 14 5.0 and they were awesome! Going to put them on my 16 GT 5.0. :)

noldevin

Established Member
Have plenty of extensions, swivels, ratcheting wrenches, and maybe a crow's foot. We even put a socket on a lathe to get it to clear the pipes. Give yourself plenty of time (don't count on getting it done in a day, it took me and my brother two).

Don't use the wire extenders for the front O2's, you can unclip the harness from the top of the transmission and have plenty of wire to reach.

I hope you bought a nice set that fits well, I'd hate to have to mess with headers that don't fit properly.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Pretty darn good advice in this thread. I have done this 3 times now, 1st two times on buddies cars with the K-member in the car, never again. I pulled the K when I did mine. I was able to leave all the studs in on the driverside and most on passenger side, this will obviously vary from mfr to mfr. Pulling the battery will make getting the last top two bolts easier on the passenger side. You might also need to remove the bracket for the AC line where its fastened to frame rail on passenger side, the stud on mine was making slight contact, it will also make hanging the passenger side header easier as the primaries will likely hit it as your are trying to get it hung.

If you can get access to a lift, do it! The 1st time around I did this on the ground and that sucks ****. Fortunately a buddy owns a shop that I can access after hours/weekends etc.

263br4w.jpg

Driverside, got a catch can after seeing the carbon build in the 1st two exhaust ports.

2s7um1k.jpg

supported the motor with transmission jack, a couple blocks of wood with folded up cardboard between the oil pan and wood.

zl9ox1.jpg

Driverside hung with all studs

b9gb2v.jpg

969s7k.jpg

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Have plenty of extensions, swivels, ratcheting wrenches, and maybe a crow's foot. We even put a socket on a lathe to get it to clear the pipes. Give yourself plenty of time (don't count on getting it done in a day, it took me and my brother two).

Don't use the wire extenders for the front O2's, you can unclip the harness from the top of the transmission and have plenty of wire to reach.

I hope you bought a nice set that fits well, I'd hate to have to mess with headers that don't fit properly.

Good call on the crows feet, had to use them in a few tight places.

noldevin

Established Member
Good call on the crows feet, had to use them in a few tight places.

We didn't have any, but we were in a welding/machine shop so he just made one real quick out of one of his non-snapon wrenches and an extension lol. The lathe also came in handy with narrowing a socket.

raptorgabe

Established Member
Kinda what I was thinkin ! Prolly tackle a little bit each day since I'm on 12s at work ! We'll see how it goes ! Crossmember looks easy to take so if it's to bad with it in il remove it

gt5.0coyote

Established Member

Ratcheting wrench will be your best friend. We didn't take the k member down or let it hang. We also didn't know about the longer wire for the o2s and the extensions didn't fit properly, so we made our own. No issues with that either. Good luck OP

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
great advice in all the post.but use a engine support not the tranny blocks!andys phone 11-26-14 015.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread