PMAS cold air intake for 11-14 Mustang GT

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just received this PMAS cold air kit that will be making it's way on to my car this evening. These intakes are available in two different configurations, "No Tune Required" (comes with a calibrated MAF sensor) and "Tune Required" (reuse your stock MAF sensor). This is the "No Tune" version so that it will work with the stock tune or any tune that has been written for use with the stock intake.

I have a Lund tune on the car currently, and a stock intake, so I'm going to run through a few different combinations to see what differences, if any, there will be. The combos will be stock tune/stock intake, stock tune/PMAS, Lund tune/stock intake, Lund tune/PMAS (with tune for stock intake), Lund tune/PMAS w/ Lund tune for PMAS (using stock MAF sensor).

I will be running the car at the track (PBIR) once they get opened back up and I'll try to make some pulls on a dyno as well. FYI, there should be ZERO difference between the Lund tune for stock intake w/ PMAS using PMAS calibrated sensor (No Tune Required version) vs Lund tune for PMAS intake using stock sensor (Tune Required version).

I'm expecting some great gains from this intake and I'll be sure to report what I find. :beer:

pmas-YUGE.jpg

If you guys are interested in this intake, a tune or intake/tune combo, give us a shout and we will get you taken care of :rockon:

Last edited:

nate714

Established Member
I have to agree with 4vftw. Looks like a home-made frankenstein intake, but we aren't here for looks we're here for performance.

What makes this design better the common names like JLT, Airaid, and Steeda? Is it that the no-tune version has some trick MAF sensor to somehow perform at the same level as a tuned intake?

jn2

Established Member
I have to agree with 4vftw. Looks like a home-made frankenstein intake, but we aren't here for looks we're here for performance.

Is it that the no-tune version has some trick MAF sensor to somehow perform at the same level as a tuned intake?

It's a MAF curve thing. The sensor they include is prob calibrated to work with the larger tube and the factory MAF curve. All it does is save you from buying a tune if you don't already have one. It won't make any more power than the models you have to tune for. Not that air intakes ever gave much gains anyway.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yeah, I understand it's styling won't appeal to some but it's design comes from the testing and flow data PMAS put into it, that's what attracted me to it and for that, I like it's design a lot. Car goes in for a trans rebuild tomorrow so hoping by late this week I will have some info to share for you guys. Going to try to get to Power By The Hour for some pulls on the dyno. IAT's while moving were no more than 3 degrees above ambient, but this is something not to get too caught up on. Side note: this thing sounds pretty wicked at WOT, almost sounds like ITB's.

IMG_3101.JPG

Last edited:

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Any word on pricing or testing on a cobra jet set up?

This kit is not compatible with the CJ manifold and as of right now, not compatible with the Boss manifold either. I am working with PMAS on developing a Boss compatible cold air kit.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Any SOTP difference? Sound clips would be nice too. Now that I went back to a quiet exhaust, I'm looking for a nice sounding CAI

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Any SOTP difference? Sound clips would be nice too. Now that I went back to a quiet exhaust, I'm looking for a nice sounding CAI

Yes, I do feel a difference but I will let the track times do the talking for that. For sound, it sounds great! When you get a little aggressive with the throttle, you can hear the motor pulling in the air pretty well but at WOT it sounds like a car with individual throttle bodies. I will try to get some clips of the sound if I can make a trip to the dyno.

Shredd

Established Member
Derek,
Are you still using the PMAS and happy with it?
Are there any comparisons to other CAI's?

D1984

Whining
Established Member
I have this intake and love it so far. I haven't had a chance to test it at the track yet since Bama had issues tuning it early on, and could never get it right with the factory MAF. Derek did me a solid and sent me the "no tune required" MAF which I've been using. I've been going through some other tuning issues with fueling and spark advance, and finally got everything where I want it in terms of AFR and timing. I've probably gone between this intake and the stock intake 20 times since I got it. Now it's staying on.

A few notes:

IATs and heat shield fitment

When moving or WOT, they are fine. I tested it with and without the heat shield and with my Steeda upper grille and Boss lower with no fogs, my IATs are at or near ambient when the car is moving whether the heat shield is installed or not. For me, heat shield fitment was a pain in the ass, and it's not sealed off from the engine bay very well so my idle/stopped IATs were the same with and without the head shield. I decided to do a ghetto Home Depot insulation tape heat wrap on the aluminum MAF housing and the silicone sleeve that comes after. The plastic intake elbow doesn't seem too hot to me so I elected not to do that part. I got a 21 degree F reduction in IATs idling in my garage vs. without the wrap. Again, I ONLY did this around about half of the intake. The aluminum MAF housing is by far the hottest part. Both of my tests were done after about a 30 minute drive, and outside temps were 81 degrees F without the wrap and 86 with it. IATs are still very high when stopped (and in a garage, although outside I don't think it would be much lower since you're still not moving), but 49 degrees F above ambient with the heat wrap vs. 70 without it is a big difference.

Driver's side PCV hose fitment

The factory PCV hose is at a pretty big angle compared to the inlet on the PMAS, to the point where it actually broke it loose when I managed to connect it (it's a metal piece that sticks through the plastic elbow and is secured by glue) and I'm sure would create a vacuum leak. So with a zip tie connected to a hard line that was just behind it, it holds the hose at an angle where it can go straight into the inlet instead of pull it to the side.

Sound and power

The sound is AWESOME. It really does sound like ITBs. I'm using as a no-tune required intake for now, since Bama wasn't doing very good on the tune with the stock MAF, but I do notice a difference in mid range power. High RPM it's hard to tell.

Overall this was the only aftermarket CAI I was interested in buying, and I feel I made the right decision.

5lho

Established Member
Apply a little heat to the pcv line with a pen torch or lighter and you can realign the hose for some strain relief.

Users who are viewing this thread