Plz help me choose an RPM switch

BigmotoXer

Established Member
2011 mustang gt.
I have a project that I'm working on and I need an RPM switch that I can signal, preferably, off of a coil. It will operate a solenoid(.45 amps/12v). I purchased a Summit RPM switch, it was defective, they sent me a replacement and it was defective as well(LED didn't work). So I am willing to pay any price but I just want it to work. I would like to run it off of a coil like my shift-light. Any help would be appreciated.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
2011 mustang gt
Can anyone tell me if these RPM switches(3 links below) need a tack adapter to work directly off of coil? {Connecting to white wire with violet tracer on coil#1}= (passenger front coil)? I live in Florida and I'm far from home in Michigan working if anyone can help that would be awesome plz.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...82GECSrDHawpN8dUMmOX7gdrmUS6G64xoCbTYQAvD_BwE

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...5peClA9QswYBuYNZLLa7XAeepSki0zLBoClVIQAvD_BwE

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...N-TyulEzcuqip9BMOjV0cbE4AOBG-qRhoCatAQAvD_BwE

BigmotoXer

Established Member
What are you trying to turn on with a rpm switch?

A 4-port solenoid.
.45 amps@12v
But that won't affect the RPM switch working/operating correctly prior to operating a load. I'm no longer using Summit switch, sent them back. Purchased a made in USA rpm switch with dip switches, have talked w them on the phone, they are not very familiar w coyote 5.0 ... I connected this rpm switch to #1 coil as well and we're thinking that is simply not going to work if the rpm switch is set up to read 4cylinder, 6 cyl, 8cyl and the #1 coil is only 1 cylinder. My raptor shift light works off of the #1 coil but I'm guessing it was designed that way. I don't want to tap off of the ecu if it's the same wire that goes to the coils, I know there's a rpm wire in the ecu but does it multiply there or after it leaves ecu? maybe I'll try to find some info on a different forum as well, I've had this posted for a week. Seems someone would be very well versed on this and could chime in these cars at 7 yrs old. I'll keep searching and calling,, kind of hard working so many hours in a state 1500miles from home 320' in the air working on wind turbines, but I'm pretty determined.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
So I have a simple RPM switch, using dip switches. I guess I just need to know where to get tach signal?
I really could only find instructions on how to tap pin 70 in wiring harness coming off of pcm /ecu but those instructions say the wire being tapped is the same wire on coil #1. Well I've connected to that wire but still no worky. Again I assume that because it's a SINGLE coil and the RPM switch needs signal multiplied for 4,6,8,10 cyl.
Or do I need a Tach Adapter? ...

Last edited:

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Surely there's a Clean Tach Output that's square-wave and can successfully/accurately run a lil 'ol RPM switch right?

This seems way harder than it should be.
frustrated.gif

basspro302

Established Member
try hooking it up to a fuel injector. You could always use a nitrous controller the jms one works good.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Oh the bass pro, thanks for your input bro. The answer is that the is a Clean Tach signal on the large plug on PCM, not the big plug in the middle,....the big plug on the end. In that plug, in the #10 space there's no wire there, get a pin from Ford, crimp your own wire to it, slide it in, now you have a Clean Tach signal. Beefcake had a post on it in 2014, unfortunately I have to give thanks to Jon Jr. @Lund racing because my search feature doesn't work on my phone. So thanks Jon, thanks bass pro, and, we'll that's all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread