Plugs dont look so good.

JMD0346

Established Member
I decided to check my plugs today. I just installed a 4lb. lower, MAFia, BAP and had the car street tuned. A/F at the time was mid 11's untill 5500 or so where it went to 11.2 ish. Timing was around 23 degrees. Plugs are very white though. The car runs good but I can feel and hear a difference when it gets in the upper rpm range. It has a hollow sound and just doesnt feel as strong as it should. Check out these pics.

eupzwh.jpg

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
They look a little on the lean side. But it is very hard to read plugs in these cars.

-Jeff

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
Yeah they do. I learned to read plugs tuning 2 stroke banshee engines. Im not the greatest on cars. I imagine its basically the same though. My concern is if this is too unsafe to live with.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Those are NGK plugs. I just changed mine yesterday and they did not look anything like yours. Mine all had a slight reddish/brown color to them. They were 15K miles old. The porcelin was also the same color.

It's hard to tell from the pic but those plugs look a bit too white for my taste. Looks like you are running too lean/hot.

JMD0346

Established Member
Thats just the problem though, isnt it? You run this, I run that, this tuner says this, this tuner says that. Its pretty confusing. Just by searching today Ive seen suggestions from tuners that range from br7's to tr6's with anywhere from .28-.38 gap with my setup.

I just gapped mine from .36ish to .31-.32. Im gonna run it like that tomorrow and see how they look.

Whats wierd is the texture of the ground strap. Its not a powdery like white. Its like a smooth glassy look and feel. It whipes right off.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
That's why I run Brisk plugs. You don't have to worry about any gapping. They've served me well thus far.

ZINC AND BLOWN

Established Member
thats doesn't look like a mixture problem to me....mixture is told by looking inside the plug, that looks like a heat issue or a timing issue

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
TOO MUCH TIMING!!!! That hollow sound after 5500 is your engine dying. You need more octane or less timing.

Go to one heat range colder, in the high RPM range bring timing down to 20-21 degrees to start with. You will be happy with the results.

Last edited:

robb

Hey JMD--drive down to Anderson and let Rick@Amazon check your car out (one of the best tuners on '03-4 Cobras/Lightnings in your area).

JMD0346

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
TOO MUCH TIMING!!!! That hollow sound after 5500 is your engine dying. You need more octane or less timing.

Go to one heat range colder, in the high RPM range bring timing down to 20-21 degrees to start with. You will be happy with the results.

If I remember correctly Im seeing 23-24 degrees timing on 93 pump. Im running mid 11 A/F untill about 5000 or so where it goes to 11.2 range.

JMD0346

Established Member
robm said:
Hey JMD--drive down to Anderson and let Rick@Amazon check your car out (one of the best tuners on '03-4 Cobras/Lightnings in your area).

Thanks. He's been my tuner since 2002. I spoke with him today. He said that you couldnt go by the color. Its the ring at the bottom of the porcelain and the line on the ground strap that matter. According to that I dont look bad. One hting about ti though I dont have anywhere to do a 4th gear plug chop to get an accurate reading. I guess Im gonna have to trust the man on this one.

ZINC AND BLOWN

Established Member
JMD0346 said:
Thanks. He's been my tuner since 2002. I spoke with him today. He said that you couldnt go by the color. Its the ring at the bottom of the porcelain and the line on the ground strap that matter. According to that I dont look bad. One hting about ti though I dont have anywhere to do a 4th gear plug chop to get an accurate reading. I guess Im gonna have to trust the man on this one.

those plugs are not OK

Users who are viewing this thread