Plugs, Boost, Tune question

UVa SVT

Established Member
Hey y'all

I recently picked up a built/kenne bell/heads/cams '02 Lightning and have a few questions:

Background
Right now the truck is running 14psi with a 8" lower and 3.5" upper on a kenne bell. The truck has been tuned by the previous owner for 14 psi 12*, 14 psi 14*, and 18 psi 14* with race gas.

Boost
Since my truck will not be daily driven nearly as much, I'm considering changing up this to 18 psi (normal); 20 psi (all-out race), all with upper pulley swaps only. What do you built/twin screw guys think about this setup? What belts should I use to correspond to these pulley sizes? How do you think I should ask for the tunes to be set up: 1x 'street' @ 18 psi, 1x 'race' @ 20 psi for cold weather 93 octane; 1x 'race @ 20 psi for warm weather 93 octane is my thoughts now.... but do y'all think I should ask for a race with race fuel?

Plugs
I looked at the plug chart and the chart leaves off at 14 psi. For your recommended boost levels + tunes (see above questions), what type, gapping, heat range plugs do you recommend as the best for my application?

Tune
Right now the truck has LT Kooks headers, catless midpipe with resonators, and JDM silver bullet catback. It sounds fantastic at WOT, but the moderate acceleration and drone is a little annoying to me, so I have a new set of JDM catted midpipes to be delivered soon. Will this change require a retune in itself, or can I wait until the pulley change/dynotune session sometime in the future to account for the cats?

Thanks for yalls input!

Mike

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
At 20 psi of boost you could only run 7-8 degrees of timing on 93 octane.
The power comes from Boost and Timing. Get a race tune to use with race fuel, Like VP Motorsport 109 lead free since you have cats.
Plugs should be NGK TR6 and gaped at .030

Last edited:

Whaler

Established Member
The race tune for that truck is not 12*, it's 18-19*. I had it built and tuned. Do not run the race tune without straight C-16 fuel. It was dyno tuned for the street and race tunes. We did use NGK TR6 plugs and I think they were gapped at .030.
You're right about the drone. You should have heard it before the resonators went on. I ordered the resonators 1 day after bringing it home with the built motor.

Users who are viewing this thread