plug wire question?

GNGREN

Established Member
Ok I was doing some cleaning/inspection/maintenance on the 97. I replaced the fuel filter and pcv valve (both VERY cheap), rotataed tires etc. While I was inspecting the wires I found 2 that the outer boot is pretty much broke the entire diameter of the wire. They are both located as the wires cross the alternator. I have noticed no missfires or anything of the like, and yes they are the original wires with (by the time I get home from work this afternoon) 95,000 miles on them.
My question is what is a good plug wire for the money? I am trying to sell her but if I don't I definatly don't want to put junk on her just to get by. I was looking at the Livewires kit that includes 2 coils, wires, and all of the seperators needed for a clean install. Would this kit be worth it? I probebly don't need the coils but with the cost of the kit it is like I am only spending $65.00 on the coil packs. I just wanted to get some other opinions as to if this is the way to go or should I use a different brand or what?

1998Venom

Established Member
Check out some of the threads that I've started/participated in. Performance Distributors were the most expensive option based on my research, and I eventually settled on MSD.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i ugrader when my stockers started missing. if you dont have a miss, no need to replace unless you really want the extra 2 hp:)

mustangdan429

Established Member
Black98COBRA i ugrader when my stockers started missing. if you dont have a miss, no need to replace unless you really want the extra 2 hp

haha ok, i dont need them then. why is your name Black98COBRA when you have a yellow cobra?

danny

GNGREN

Established Member
Originally posted by mustangdan429
if the stock wires are free of defects is it really worth it to get new wires?

danny

The reason that I am asking is because they are not free of defects, the jackets on 2 of the wires that cross the alternator are cracked completely around the wire. I can see the fibers in the wire. I don't have a miss YET!!! But I need to replace the wires before it starts to develop one. What are some other reliable brands out there?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
my name is black98 because thats the cobra i had when i came on this board. i totaled it last december then bought this one and cant change my name so... if i were you i would go ahead and buy new ones. you'll have to sooner or later. the frpp ones are suppose to be good.

mustangdan429

Established Member
The reason that I am asking is because they are not free of defects, the jackets on 2 of the wires that cross the alternator are cracked completely around the wire. I can see the fibers in the wire. I don't have a miss YET!!! But I need to replace the wires before it starts to develop one. What are some other reliable brands out there?

i ment for me; "if my wires have no defects then should i get new wires?" sorry for the misunderstanding.

danny

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
The MSD 8.5mm are one of the best. High EMI suppression and one of the lowest resistance factors.

Original factory plug wires are 10,000 ohms per foot! The average aftermarket wires are 500 ohms per foot.

MDS 8.5 are less than 50 ohms per foot of resistance!! = More spark to the plugs

Unless you are going with a super high-energy aftermarket ignition system, you don’t need any larger than 8.5mm.

Summit has the lowest prices on the wires

I've had mine on for 5 yrs now:beer:

GNGREN

Established Member
The thing that upsets me about the Livewires kit is they got ya by the balls with how large a diameter the wires are. I mean you almost have to buy their seperators. I don't really want to tie wrap the wires back. I just don't know if it would be worth the money to buy-em or not? I mean I know that the FRPP 9mm wires are like $130.00 (finally found a part # for em), and MSD 8.5mm are only like $81.00 I am thinking I could get the msd's and a mac cold air kit (fender to MAF) for less than The livewires kit, and they should fit in the stock wire seperators? I think.... plus it would save me about $50 and might net me an extra pony or two?

The reason I am having a difficult time deciding is that my lovly wife told me to buy the livewires with-out a bat of her eye. I mean she didn't complain or critasize about the cost or anything. So now I am thinking as long as she has oked the $300 cost with-out a second thought maybe I can speand the money a bit wiser and get a bit more for the car. (I know I know why am i speanding the cash when I am trying to sell it? If ya can't tell I'm not the one that want's to sell it and if I put enough money into it maybe she will just say I can keep it?) LOL

Last edited:

1998Venom

Established Member
My advice is MSD, Taylor or FRPP, and avoid the Mac Cold Air - many people can add comments that the bend prior to the MAF will cause significant fluctuations in your Air:Fuel ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread