Plug Gurus...

jjhirsch

Established Member
I am having a littel problem finding out which plug to use and your help is very much appreciated.

I am currently running a 2.70 upper, 8# lower, ported Eaton, ported upper plenum SBTB, spacer, LT's no cats, MSD ignition, and gobs of other mods butr the main problem I am having is with my nitrous/propane set-up.

I am using a NOS wet kit with 100 jets and using propane as the fuel alternative, the kit works great but the plugs are not holding up. I fried IT-22's gapped at .34. I fried TR-6's gapped at .32 and fried Autolite AR-93's... All the plugs worked great on the normal set-up but only last about 3-5 sprays with the combo....I have TR-55ix's in now...

Am I gapping to small??
Am I using too hot of plugs??

I am scratching my head here, trying to find a plug that meets my daily street tune with my nitrous/propane tune...Is that possible? I have had some rough idles but I can live with those....

Only good thing with this is that I can now swap plugs in under an hour......!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Jonathan

SNKBITE

Established Member
I personally have not used them, but some of the major league players on the truck boards are using NGK-BR-7's when spraying.
All I want to know is where are you in N.E. Ohio so I can stay the hell away from you with my Cobra. That truck has got to be hauling ass with the mods alone, yet the 100 shot on top of it.
If you want to talk to a good tuner call Mike Troyer at 540-862-9515 and tell him Marc told you to call. He is one sharp man.

The BR7 is pretty much an AR93 more less. Jonathan, it might help to know how the plugs are frying? I don't know if that makes sense? Is it lean?
Propane does burn extremely hot, and that with the nitrous oxide just might be too much.
I think you need a tougher plug, not a colder one.

jjhirsch

Established Member
Originally posted by SNKBITE
I personally have not used them, but some of the major league players on the truck boards are using NGK-BR-7's when spraying.
All I want to know is where are you in N.E. Ohio so I can stay the hell away from you with my Cobra. That truck has got to be hauling ass with the mods alone, yet the 100 shot on top of it.
If you want to talk to a good tuner call Mike Troyer at 540-862-9515 and tell him Marc told you to call. He is one sharp man.

The truck does well on the combo....Just the plugs are not lasting long at all. I am in Mentor if that helps buddy!!:D But a meeting wouyld be cool, I am still envious of the new Cobras!!!

"The BR7 is pretty much an AR93 more less. Jonathan, it might help to know how the plugs are frying? I don't know if that makes sense? Is it lean?
Propane does burn extremely hot, and that with the nitrous oxide just might be too much.
I think you need a tougher plug, not a colder one."

I think you are right Ryan,....I dont need a colder one, I need as tougher one...but theres the question. Which plug??? The BR--93's did alot better than the rest. Still confused....

jjhirsch

Established Member
Originally posted by workspowerontop
Well what i'm left with after thinking which plug to go with is...
If you've gone through that many plugs, your pistons might be next?

Pistons are done already...or else I wouldnt run a 8# with a 2.70 upper and a 100 shot!!!:beer:

True but even a forged piston isn't going to hold up that well.
Hard to say, but I would triple check you don't melt a piston freind!!!

I'll keep thinking about the plugs though...

SNKBITE

Established Member
jjhirsch, I am normally at Dragway 42 on Tuesday or Thursday nights, and Quaker City on Wednesday nights and Saturdays.
They have a pretty nice Street War Wednesday nights at Quaker.
I actually won the modified class last May 21 with my Lightning.
Was having fun watching the 10 second cars breaking out or red lighting as I was getting the tree.
Lets meet up sometime. I can bring several other Lighting owners I know..

jjhirsch

Established Member
Originally posted by SNKBITE
jjhirsch, I am normally at Dragway 42 on Tuesday or Thursday nights, and Quaker City on Wednesday nights and Saturdays.
They have a pretty nice Street War Wednesday nights at Quaker.
I actually won the modified class last May 21 with my Lightning.
Was having fun watching the 10 second cars breaking out or red lighting as I was getting the tree.
Lets meet up sometime. I can bring several other Lighting owners I know..

Sounds good...PM me with info and I will see what I can do after I figure out this plug issue!!!:beer:

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
I've had that problem. your running lean. you should check your air fuel ratio. or try running a mix pump/race fuel. I have to mix 5 gallons of 111 to the full tank of 91. 91 just doesn't cut it. if I don't and I get on it, its bye bye plugs.
br7s have been the ones that last longer

jjhirsch

Established Member
Originally posted by auyon
I've had that problem. your running lean. you should check your air fuel ratio. or try running a mix pump/race fuel. I have to mix 5 gallons of 111 to the full tank of 91. 91 just doesn't cut it. if I don't and I get on it, its bye bye plugs.
br7s have been the ones that last longer

:beer: ....Thats the whole point, these plugs are not being concistent(sp) enough to get a A/F#'s....All three have blown while on dyno. only on the nitrous/propane side....On the streetside I have a 11.8 I believe...I may be off a few....I know still that we have a ton of tuning to do but I just wanted something strong enough to hold awhile on the dyno.....I will be giving the Beru a shot soon....

Users who are viewing this thread