Plug anti seize

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
For those of you that have changed plugs, did you use anti seize on the threads and what kind did you use?The Ford shop manual does not say to use it or not use it.I've always used it in the past and I'm leaning towards using it.

Thanks, Guy

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
with as often as I have been checking/gapping/changing plugs on this vehicle I've stopped using antiseize, although I do on other aluminum heads

I only remove or torque them when engine is totally cold...

Last edited:

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
Yes continue to use it. You don't want your spark plug to become a part of your head. I always use it. After working in the electrical field and seeing what happens when you dont use it, its not pretty.

sam

Established Member
i do not use antiseize with aluminum heads as gm recomends not to. they say that you can use a small amount of oil on the threads. it's said that you can easily over tighten the plugs causing damage the the threads.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
And the debate rages on. Tune in next week when we'll still have a raging controvesy. When will it end? Never! That's the beaty part. We'll have something to argue about as long as it takes for our Mustangs to rust.

Next week Big Mike Tyson takes on CobraBob for a 3 round, no holds barred, winner take all match. CobraBob refuses to set down his tube of Anti-Seize. We'll see how he feels after Mike knocks some sense into that thick head.

For the World Fighting Series, this is your announcer, SnakeBit. See you tomorrow night. Peace.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Seriously, IMO, anti-seize is best used when the plugs will stay put for a long time, 30K miles or more. Leave your plugs alone for 70K miles, and you may have a tough time getting them all out without breaking something.

But if you are pulling your plugs every few thousand miles, then it really doesn't make any difference. Your plugs will come out when you want them to without anti-seize. They won't gall that quickly.

A worse problem is frequent washing of the engine. Some standing water inside one or more plug holes will make a bigger mess. Just my opinion.

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by sam
i do not use antiseize with aluminum heads as gm recomends not to. they say that you can use a small amount of oil on the threads. it's said that you can easily over tighten the plugs causing damage the the threads.

I was at a one week seminar with two GM power train engineers back in the late 90's. All of my group were shocked. Just let me say, we all alughed all week.

Using lubrication on threads will allow more movement when applying torque. A lubricated bolt torqued to 90 lb. ft. of torque will have more force than an unlubricated bolt at the same torque. Therefore, you can get more force with less torque. This can be a big issue in highly automated assembly lines.

Oil will allow more stress on threads(alumn. heads) than the anti-seize would. I just pulled my plugs after 14 months and 20k miles. They were all just as tight as the day I put them in. I used a small amout of anti-seize. One small dot on the threads is all you need. It will distribute itself as you screw it in to the head. One of pics I saw of someone with problems it was obvious they had coated the threads. It was hanging off the plug.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
GM's rule of thumb is to reduce torque spec by 40% when using antiseize

using too much is dangerous because the metallic content makes it a conductor, thus the warnigns about not letting it get into combustion chamber

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Sure, the key is to use it sparingly. You also need to be careful that it doesn't get on the electrode. I use a toothbrush (the ones my dentist gives me, but I don't use on my teeth b/c I prefer a different brand) to lightly coat the threads. In fact I just changed the plugs on my wife's Mazda and used anti-sieze on all of the plugs. The old ones came out easily after 40K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread