Plethora of WTF, Bro?

HAwkeye4040

Established Member
Alright gents (...and gentettes?),

I've got a few problems that I've been getting a gray hair or two over, and I've only recently been able to purchase alcohol legal.

First off, my front wheels. I own an '03 GT with 156k+ miles, and I'm sure it's just a factor of miles here, but I want to see if this has happened to anyone else, or if anyone has any insight... to the point. They squeak. Alot. At first I thought it was the brakes, which I tore apart and put back together. Oddly enough, they needed greased. Once that was done, I noticed a relief of drag, but yet again the squeak is the still there. It's obvious that it's a rotating assembly, and the wheel bearing is the only logical solution. However, I went to go crack it open, but it says "permantly lubed". I'm gonna trust that this is a lie, as anything can wear out over time. I'm gonna crack it tomorrow. But does anyone have any insight.

Secondly, my tranny. It's an automatic (I know. :bored:) Please, no jokes. But my problem is the first gear. It whines. I've tried changing the filter and going with a higher mileage type fluid, which help the first time, but the second time it came back a little more prominent than normal. I've added some anti-slip to see if it would help... and nada.

So, those are my major issues.:rockon:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Sounds like you may try regreasing the front bearings and/or bearing replacement.

For your transmission, using a top tier ATF could be a fix for you. If not, you are going to have to rebuild the transmission. Try this...

Amsoil ATF - for all Dex III and Mercon V fluid type ATF transmissions.

Amsoil Super Shift - for all Type F fluid transmission applications.

SVTDice

Established Member
+1 On what UnleashedBeast posted. Now for your whining issue, I'd look into Cobrabob's shifter gasket. It helped quiet down my shifter A TON. Ontop of that it helped the slight vibration issue through the shifter at idle. Take a look into his gasket, I'd order one when you order the Amsoil for your transmission fluid. It will help a great deal, I assure you.

Mustang Catalog

MMR

Established Member
Sounds like you need to have your brake disks turned or maybe replaced. When you look at the brake disk itself is it like mirror smooth to look at or does it have like rills going around?

Are you running ceramic pads?

kbroush

Established Member
With the mileage you have on your car I would assume its a good time to replace both front wheel bearings. Ive had wheel bearings go out on a car with less than 75k miles on it. As for the gear whine I would try a good transmission fluid like UnleashedBeast said. Different fluids can make or break a transmission!

Users who are viewing this thread