Please look at my slips and help me reduce my ET's

Spiney

Established Member
Hi, We have a 96 SVT Cobra coupe. Stock suspension, street tires, no cats, h pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N CAI, Superchip. ( BAMA tunes to be installed after I remove chip)
B&M short shift kit. Factory rear 3.23 5 speed.

2nd time at 1/4 mile track. First time my wife drove 4/5 runs. This time I was there alone and got 7 runs in, in 1.5 hours. It was 75 not humid. Altitude about 500'

First run I launched around 3k and got no traction for first 1-200'. Almost got sideways.
Then I gradually slowed down my launch rpm 2500-2000 till another driver said I'd be better off at 1500. He was mostly right, but still having traction problems until I was able to change from Right lane to the left. Then I was able to drop from mid 15's down to 14.4x. I'd like to break into high 13's without hurting the cat. This more experienced driver suggested instead of holding onto 3rd gear at 7K through the traps to shift to 4th around 6K. My highest mph was like 98.8

My reaction times suck. I've had 4 spine surgeries so I may always have sucky RT's. But I feel I shift quick. My wife's RT's are very good like .15

So hopefully here are my worst and best times. I'm # 879. See what suggestions you can give me. I'm in this for fun. Not ready to change the rear or buy drag radials. I am buying new suspension this Sunday at AM show I hope. Going to lower and stiffen the ride. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

jepasyqe.jpg

Sethsual

Established Member
Seven runs in one and half hours seems excessive. Let her cool down more between runs and that should help. The last time I made it out, I think I made three passes in three hours. Also, it looks like you're doing exactly what you should be doing to improve your track results: Getting more seat-time. If you were still having issues with hooking 200' out, then you should be more conscious about peddling it instead of just keeping it buried. When your suspension and tires can handle it, then you should up the launch RPM's. In the meantime, keep it down and ease out of the hole. If you start to slip, back off a tad until it grabs, and then get after it again.

Bite u

Established Member
What he said.. In 2-3 hrs I usually get 3-4 runs and then 1 spray run maybe.. I like to b able to lay my whole hand on the intake Manu before making a pass again.. I'm surprised your having so much traction problems with the 3.2's gear... But like above said just focus more in pedaling... Your firs 300' r the most important in drag racing... Improve all that and watch your et's drop.. If your 60' n 330' improve but you 1/8 or 1/4 r not then your losing in your upper shifts.. I wouldn't shift to 4th though, prolly drop you to 4-5k or more If u shifted at 6, but try it a couple runs and see

Last edited:

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
What tire are you running on the rear?

You're building incredible heat hot lapping that thing, let it cool down some between runs.

Blown38

Established Member
Who cares about hot lapping at this point get as many runs in that you can and work on your launch. You should be able to get to at least a 2.0 60' with that your 1/4 time should be .4 quicker and almost 13's judging the slips. every .1 in the 60' is worth .2 in the 1/4.

How much air are you running in the rear tires and what size are they? Also pump the fronts up to their max pressure usually 44psi.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Your 60' times are bad even for street radials as said before. The 3.27 gear isn't helping any with that year Cobra either. Find a good spot to slip the clutch and get a better 60' and you will be in the high 13's. A little spin in 1st isn't bad as it will help keep the rpm's up with that 3.27. Not a lot of spin, just a little. I'd go 4.10 or numerically higher with the gear and put a decent tire under it, but I don't know if you are wanting to do that or not.
One more thing, your reaction time has nothing to do with your ET.

Last edited:

watman02

Established Member
don't worry about hot laping the car. as long as it dost overheat ur fine. i used to do it all the time. id make 3-4 runs in less than 20min sometimes.
what u need is seat time!!!!!!. work on ur launch. ru doing a burn out??? check out my times with an almost stock mach below that was on walmart 245/45 tires.

Bite u

Established Member
You hot lappers do realize that these cars pull timing if the IAT's r beyond a certain point right? Mine was on the dyno and pulling 4* because of a certain retard that was still on. I have a track tune that has all retards turned off, but i let car cool 30-45 min between runs depending on how hot it is outside or to the touch of hand.

So do not hot lap first of all, second is ya gotta find the sweet spot when launching, little spin might actually help off the line to keep momentum up.. Just don't John force it leaving the light... Pedal it

watman02

Established Member
You hot lappers do realize that these cars pull timing if the IAT's r beyond a certain point right? Mine was on the dyno and pulling 4* because of a certain retard that was still on. I have a track tune that has all retards turned off, but i let car cool 30-45 min between runs depending on how hot it is outside or to the touch of hand.
Yes i know it pulls timing but being that he is running 14sec time slips in a low 13 sec capable car 4*is not going to hurt him that much, its the experience that he needs.
i usally had some of my best runs on the the 2-3rd hot lap fwiw.

Spiney

Established Member
Unfortunately Maple Grove closed Friday night because of rain. I'm hoping for another chance this weekend. Maple Grove is having the Fun Ford Weekend this weekend. 3 days. Test & tune Friday, car show and drags on Sat & Sun. If you within driving distance you should come out.

Google Maple Grove Raceway for directions and event schedule. They are predicting great weather. Cooler & low humidity should equal better times. It's a great show sponsored by my club, the Berks County Mustang Car Club. We are on Facebook & the Web. Thanks, Dave

Prototype007

Established Member
Don't worry about reaction times. The timers don't start until you move.

Some tires are going to make a world of difference for you. Honestly I don't think your times are that bad if you really are hot lapping the car that much.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Get a set of 4:10's or 4:30's also check to see if the IMRC's are functioning...back in 2000 I had a 97 cobra and a IMRC's cable broke so the car lost a lot of power.

94_Vert

Established Member
Make sure you aren't going through the water with street tires. That will kill your 60 time.

Users who are viewing this thread