Please help

USMC500

Established Member
20140311_144734.jpg

can this be cleaned and is this blow by

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Do you have an oil separator? Looks like blow-by but I had a similar looking condition and it was bad pistons (hope that is not your case).

1320 Junkie

Established Member
20140311_144734.jpg

can this be cleaned and is this blow by

Is it a race car? If you have the lower intake welded up the way you do your bypass isnt doing its job correctly anymore. Any oil is going right over your intercooler it has no where else to go. I also think that is excessive blowby...looks like 100k miles are on it. Mine was clean as awhistle after 6k hard miles @ 700+hp but my lower isnt modded like yours either.

fullboogie

Established Member
Looks just like my Lightning intercooler after 10K miles with no oil separator. Remove it, clean it with brake cleaner.

00Whitey

Established Member
Looks my lightning cooler as well. Take it out soak it in royal purple and it will clean up fine. Get an oil separator to help. That is a result of the PVC system working and cycling back thru the oily discharge. Once clean you should see performance increase a little due to IAT temp drops.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
That's the worst one I've ever seen. I'd pull the intercooler out entirely and soak it in solvent overnight, then clean it up. That crap isn't just on the top, it's all through that core. And I agree, I question fhe gain from the modded intake bypass like yours has.

Something is going on there though. When I first pulled mine apart it had 9k miles on it with no separator, and it still looked brand new.

Here, this was last spring, 9k miles, no separator:

FF68B411-BBF9-418F-93EF-467A7A5C29A8-1803-00000201043A0C44_zps6685d9af.jpg

Last edited:

Stri8ed

Killer
Established Member
wow... I pulled my blower at 30,000mi and it wasn't anywhere near that... Pull it and clean it, but most importantly, find out why its getting so much blowby. I'd guess its because the lower intake is welded closed.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
That's the worst one I've ever seen. I'd pull the intercooler out entirely and soak it in solvent overnight, then clean it up. That crap isn't just on the top, it's all through that core. And I agree, I question fhe gain from the modded intake bypass like yours has.

Something is going on there though. When I first pulled mine apart it had 9k miles on it with no separator, and it still looked brand new.

Here, this was last spring, 9k miles, no separator:

FF68B411-BBF9-418F-93EF-467A7A5C29A8-1803-00000201043A0C44_zps6685d9af.jpg

I did research on this mod when my motor was being built...none of my research showed any benefit to that mod only negatives....regardless of what Steigmier says. I would try and find a stock lower intake

Last edited:

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
I did research on this mod when my motor was being built...none of my research showed any benefit to that mod only negatives....regardless of what Steigmier says. I would try and find a stock lower intake

Are you referring to the porting, or just the welding?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know why you couldn't open the welds back up and port it to flow like stock.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Are you referring to the porting, or just the welding?

Just the welding and the removal of the bypass separation chamber. It needs to be there on a street car. I honestly see no reason to remove the bypass chamber.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I don't know why you couldn't open the welds back up and port it to flow like stock.

The seperation chamber has been removed which now wont redirect behind the intercooler core. Thats part of the problem. The only thing you can do is raise the forward edge of the bypass chamber to let more air get under the chamber. Other than that you must run it as designed from ford..plenty of surface area to properly cool the air as delivered from ford.

Users who are viewing this thread