Please Help With Transmission Problem!!

BivDBO

Car audio guru
Established Member
Hey everybody I am in desperate need of advice. I just swapped out my tranny for a T-45 out of a 98 cobra with almost no miles. I put it in and when I am sitting still with the clutch out I hear some gear noise. Also when I am driving and I downsift at a reasonable rpm there is a terrible gear noise that is radiating into the cab. This noise is only there when the clutch is pressed in. When I let the clutch out it dissapears. It happens in every gear but seems to be most apparent in 2nd. I have a new clutch, throughout bearing, and pilot bearing in the car and I don't know what else to look for. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Get that synthetic stuff out of there. Synthetics are a no-no on the T-45 and TR-3650 transmissions. User either Dexron III/Mercon as spec'd by the factory or Pennzoil/GM Synchromesh.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Keep in mind also that these transmissions can be kind of noisey. A bead of black RTV around the shifter base where it bolts to the trans or one of CobraBob's gaskets helps reduce the transfer of noise into the car as well.

Users who are viewing this thread