Please Help Me Make a Decision

Dfresh15

Banned
I've been in the market for an 03-04 Terminator Cobra for about a month now. I've read a few articles on this very helpful website and have been looking for a car on here also. I was leaning more towards the 2004 Cobra for a couple reasons. The major reason is because I heard that the 2004's have Double the Spark Plug Threads in the cylinder heads than the 2003 Cobras. Should this really be a concern of mine? I'm finding a lot of nice 2003 Cobras within my price range, but I just keep thinking about the whole cylinder head Spark Plug issue. Also I'm thinking that any problems that the 2003's had, FORD may have worked out a little better for the 2004's. Somebody please help me and let me know if I'm worrying too much? Or does the 2004 REALLY have it's advantages over the 2003 Cobras. Thanks

Also I'd like to say I'm searching for a near stock car that's not all molested....If this helps at all with your advice towards me. Thanks again

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If I remember right not all 04's had nine thread plugs just the later built ones. 03's are fine just check it out thoughly and do a compression test. I was looking at a SB 03 and a CO 04. I do have to say I like the dark charcoal interior better than the graphite though lol.

SS EATR

Established Member
I've been in the market for an 03-04 Terminator Cobra for about a month now. I've read a few articles on this very helpful website and have been looking for a car on here also. I was leaning more towards the 2004 Cobra for a couple reasons. The major reason is because I heard that the 2004's have Double the Spark Plug Threads in the cylinder heads than the 2003 Cobras. Should this really be a concern of mine? I'm finding a lot of nice 2003 Cobras within my price range, but I just keep thinking about the whole cylinder head Spark Plug issue. Also I'm thinking that any problems that the 2003's had, FORD may have worked out a little better for the 2004's. Somebody please help me and let me know if I'm worrying too much? Or does the 2004 REALLY have it's advantages over the 2003 Cobras. Thanks

Also I'd like to say I'm searching for a near stock car that's not all molested....If this helps at all with your advice towards me. Thanks again
If you find a nice 03 that you really like don't hesitate just because its an 03. Later model 03s have the 9 thread heads anyway. I did have a plug blow out on me in my old GT but never had a problem in my old 03 cobra, neither has anyone else I've known with an 03.

Last edited:

RichM1983

Established Member
If you find a nice 03 that you really like don't hesitate just because its an 03. Later model 03s have the 9 thread heads anyway. I did have a plug blow out on me in my old GT but never had a problem in my old 03 cobra, neither has anyone else I've known with an 03.

Are you sure about the late 03's. I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.

Quote from CobraBob's:
here's been much discussion over this. It was believed that all '03 and all '04 Cobras had 4 threads from the factory, and that only the latest heads (01/05) had 9 threads. New information indicates that all 2003 Cobra have 4 threads, early '04 Cobras have 4 threads, and '04 Cobras built after some date in 11/03 have 9 threads. However, even these revised '04 heads don't have the revised coolant passages found on the heads released in 01/2005. This is interesting information because there have been reports of spark plugs blowing out of the heads possibly in part due to the lack of sufficient threads and possibly also due in part to an improper installation of the plugs. I don't believe there is any substantial proof that 4 threads is a potential issue since the reported cases of blown out plugs is so few, but obviously having 9 threads is better than 4. I find it interesting that Ford changed the number of threads at some point in the 2004 production run. The question is why they would do that if they weren't concerned about the heads only having 4 threads.

Last edited:

SS EATR

Established Member
Are you sure about the late 03's. I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.

Quote from CobraBob's:
here's been much discussion over this. It was believed that all '03 and all '04 Cobras had 4 threads from the factory, and that only the latest heads (01/05) had 9 threads. New information indicates that all 2003 Cobra have 4 threads, early '04 Cobras have 4 threads, and '04 Cobras built after some date in 11/03 have 9 threads. However, even these revised '04 heads don't have the revised coolant passages found on the heads released in 01/2005. This is interesting information because there have been reports of spark plugs blowing out of the heads possibly in part due to the lack of sufficient threads and possibly also due in part to an improper installation of the plugs. I don't believe there is any substantial proof that 4 threads is a potential issue since the reported cases of blown out plugs is so few, but obviously having 9 threads is better than 4. I find it interesting that Ford changed the number of threads at some point in the 2004 production run. The question is why they would do that if they weren't concerned about the heads only having 4 threads.

Yeah you're right I just got back into a cobra so I have forgotten a lot lol, OP still shouldn't make his decision based solely on that though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread