Please help me. I dont want a $7200 mistake

USAFMACH1

Established Member
I'm currently looking at a 93 cobra on ebay. Listing #110617923003. Have been talking to the guy all week, and seems to be legit. Ran both an Autocheck and Carfax, and there are no issues, just multiple owners. Car has 58k miles. The concerns I have are, he said the door vin doesn't match to rest of the car, and the cobra emblems are both facing forward on both sides. He also says it looks like the car has been repainted. It just seems to me the car looks more blue than teal. And why would it have a different door vin number? Please give me advice on this car. Thanks:shrug:

buddha93

Established Member
I thought some of the guys over on the registry were familiar with this car. Post up over here:

1993 Cobra Registry

For the price, your definitely getting a project, but I've seen much worse. Just needs some TLC which equals cash.

Last edited:

WillyB93

Established Member
If the door has a different VIN # I would say the door has been replaced. The accident may not have been severe enough to report it to insurance, the person may have just paid cash to replace the door. The fender may have had damage, they may have just repaired it from the accident. The paint issue depends on the pictures my teal car does seem blue sometime depending on the outside light. Like budda said seems the car needs some TLC, If you are willing to buy it in that condition and put some money into it to make it a nicer car.
The question is do you want to pay $7200 and put $2000 into it to make it nice or just hold out and buy a nicer car for $10000

TX93Cobra

Established Member
yea probably got in accident to where the person bought a new cobra emblem and didnt realize they dont face forward on both sides.

kcp203

Established Member
Depending on the state you live in, a non-matching VIN is asking for trouble on inspection, particularly if the vin on the door is from a car reported stolen.

If you buy, remove the door vin ASAP.

You need to check all the other vin spots to make sure they match on the car (dash, inner fenders, under rear bumper, etc).

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Depending on the state you live in, a non-matching VIN is asking for trouble on inspection, particularly if the vin on the door is from a car reported stolen.

If you buy, remove the door vin ASAP.

You need to check all the other vin spots to make sure they match on the car (dash, inner fenders, under rear bumper, etc).

if a state goes to all the trouble of checking door vins, don't you think they would notice when a vin is missing?

I would be interested in hearing which states do this as well. I have had cars inspected in a half dozen states and have NEVER seen this in practice nor in writing i.e. it's not in the inspections rules that state inspectors have to follow.

buddha93

Established Member
The only one anyone is going to look at is the one on the dash, period. To KCP03's point though, it's possible the VIN could belong to a theft. To minimize any BS, you could just peel it off if your worried about it.

buddha93

Established Member
Cool. You made a good buy IMO. It'll give you something to tinker with. Keep us posted.

USAFMACH1

Established Member
Got it

prewash.jpg

93cobra8.jpg

93cobra4.jpg

93cobra1.jpg

Just got my 93 cobra, and watched it get unloaded from the trailer. I'm happy overall for what I paid for. It had a little more minor mods than I thought. From what I see it has electricfan, a/c-smog delete, BBK CAI, 75mm Throttle body, 75mm MAF, weiland water pump, Mac headers, O/R H, and Flowmasters, Jegs fuel pressure gauge, MSD ignition, hotchkis suspension with eibach springs, and a few other little things. Car has 58K miles. Looks like the car has been sitting for a while. Had a lot of cob webs in the engine bay. Needs a tune up bad!!. Surges from 800 to 1500 and stalls, and boggs bad at WOT. There was a missing vacuum hose where the EGR goes and had electrical tape in it, took it out and ran a little better. What do you guys think? Clean Carfax and autocheck, but none of the vins match to the Dash code. The seller knew about the door, but I noticed the hood and hatch has different non cobra vin numbers on them. But its all painted teal with the original tags on still. I'm confused only 93 cobras came with this color.

buddha93

Established Member
Hmph. Sounds like a theft recovery to me with the parts missing from various locations on the car. Your best bet is to try and track it back through it's owners if you want to know the whole story, but that's an effort in itself.

I'd treat if for what it is; a project car. It sounds like you can drive it while you clean/fix it up.

Users who are viewing this thread