Please Help! High Idle and stall issues won't go away

Grillmaster13

Established Member
Here's the background:

I bought my 1998 cobra #23 in laser red a year and a half ago. She had a spun rod bearing on cylinder 7, and the previous owner had the crankshaft turned .40 under. So, a year later. The motor rebuild is done, and it wants to idle at 1500-1800 rpm when in neutral and she dies when I put the clutch in when exiting the hwy. under deceleration. Both problems happen maybe one out of ten times. If it's idling high, i can usually blip the throttle to about 3k and it will idle back down to 650 rpm, if I turn the key off and re start the car the problem usually goes away. If it stalls and I'm rolling I usually pop the clutch to restart it while rolling.

So, we did do some mods while rebuilding. I'm running a sct tune with imrc deletes and cat delete from rmcr in colorado springs, but haven't seen dyno time, and probably won't for quite a while. The cylinders were honed, it has manley h-beam rods, diamond alum forged pistons, stock spec german crankshaft, imrc deletes, x-pipe without cats, flowmaster mufflers, windage tray, head cooling mod, ARP bolts and head bolts, new timing chains and tensioners, new plugs and wires, water pump, upgraded cobra clutch from FRPP, heads refreshed by Fox Lake Power Products in Ohio, but no major porting done.

Break in went smooth, we've since replaced a couple things like a vacuum line and the plug wires. It has stalled and idles high sometimes since getting it running again. The tuner says that it will throw codes until I get it on the dyno. It is throwing lean condition bank 1 and bank 2 and catalyst inefficient. I took it to my mechanic and his code scanner said it had bad ROM on the PCM, so I just had the dealer install a new pcm and it still stalls and idles high. There's not much else to replace. Could it be the throttle position sensor? Could it be a fuel pressure issue? If so, how do I test it? Could something be gunked up and sticking? I'm hoping there's something we just missed and didn't hook up. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
First off you need to get it tuned.

Second, there are so many things you should be checking you need a list to make sure you don't miss anything.

Stuff i would start with would be....

Tps voltage koeo
Fuel pressure @ idle
Clean maf
Clean iac and get an oem Ford unit if possible
If you have a tuner fire up livelink and monitor iac duty cycle and isc integrator make sure they are in spec
Replace plugs
Inspect wires and coils
Use livelink to check misfire counters
Find a smoke machine and smoke the motor for vac leaks

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

Grillmaster13

Established Member
Plugs and wires were replaced with the rebuild, maf was good, the tps was only at half the voltage it should have been, so we replaced it and eliminated the high idle. The tune from Rocky Mountain Competitive Research in Co. Springs solved the rest of my gremlins. It's like a whole new car according to my nine year old. Seriously, Mark and Mike at RMCR come highly recommended, they did a great job and had a most impressive shop. I'm looking forward to adding boost and RMCR will probably install and tune it(vortech or precision turbo maybe). Thanks for the advice Mystic snake.

Users who are viewing this thread