Please help clear up spring confusion

03Predator

Established Member
Added 18" rims to my car and now have that dreaded fenderwell gap. I have decided to go with H&R Sport since I drive the car less than 1000 miles per year. I want the most drop I can get away with. However, I'm confused. The Sports supposedly lower the car MORE than the Race, right? So I'm checking H&R's website and they claim the Race lower more than the Sports. :shrug: I've read on SVTP that lots of people have experienced the exact opposite; Sports are lower than Race. So what's up with that? Also anyone have experience with the Super Sports? I can go pretty low. This car isn't my DD.

Edit: Forgot to include link to H&R with the info I found: http://www.hrsprings.com/products/springs/

Thanks!

b_dike

Established Member
That's odd, I've always understood the the sports where the softer lower setting springs too. That's why I bought the race springs. Sorry im sure this didn't help clear up any confusion.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Unless they changed something
Sports are lower, a lot lower, be careful
If I had to do it again, I would get the sports, and maximum Motorsports
Thick ass Isos and adjust accordly
I got races right now, and cut off at least a 1/4 coil in the back, and put the stock Isos back in

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I ran sports for many years and loved the look and ride. Right at 2 fingers on fender gap. Mine worked out to 1.5-1.7" drop with stock iso. They were quite low and liked to drag muffs at some parking lot speed bumps. I was always under the impression that sports were lower than race as well.

03Predator

Established Member
I will never put MM bushings in again. I had them on my lowered '96 and they were so squeaky it drove me crazy. I've compromised before on springs and found myself very disappointed. I know sports are supposedly lower but I think I can live with it. lol I'll just have to be careful. I drive like a granny anyway so I should be good.

What springs would you guys recommend?

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
H&R Sport Springs are lower than Race Springs. You have to take out all ISO's with the Race Springs to make it as low as the Sport Springs with the factory ISO's in.

I purchased H&R Sports for my car. I have not installed them yet. I was wanting to use MM ISO's but never heard of them making squeaking noises until you just mentioned it. The way I figure it if you go with the Sports and MM ISO's you have a ton more room for adjustment.

You should be fine with Sports and stock ISO's though.

Last edited:

03Predator

Established Member

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Thanks for the input. I have looked at that thread but I'm still confused as to why H&R says the race springs offer more lowering than the sport. I had made my mind up with the sport until I looked at their website! :shrug:

When did you purchase your springs?

I bought my Springs last summer, but since then bought a house and have a baby on the way. Just haven't had time to put them in.

H&R's website is just wrong. Not sure why they dont fix it.

Last edited:

myslowstang

Established Member
Are coilovers out of the question? You could adjust to whatever height you wanted to and if you didn't like it after awhile you could just adjust it again.
I saw someone mentioned Maximum Motorsports, they make a coilover kit for the stock struts. That's what I have and I like them.

03Predator

Established Member
I'm not entirely sure what coilovers are. lol I didn't know you could adjust the height with them either?! That's kind of interesting. However, they are a bit pricey, yes? Springs are cheap and I don't do my own work so I kind of want to do it right the first time.

Are coilovers out of the question? You could adjust to whatever height you wanted to and if you didn't like it after awhile you could just adjust it again.
I saw someone mentioned Maximum Motorsports, they make a coilover kit for the stock struts. That's what I have and I like them.

myslowstang

Established Member
I'm not entirely sure what coilovers are. lol I didn't know you could adjust the height with them either?! That's kind of interesting. However, they are a bit pricey, yes? Springs are cheap and I don't do my own work so I kind of want to do it right the first time.

MM Front Coil-Over Kits
These are the coilovers kits. Well worth the money IMO.

myslowstang

Established Member
No. You need the springs that fit with the coilovers. Just call or email them. They'll tell you exactly what you'll need.

Users who are viewing this thread