Please help a Noob with detailing.

MAD SVT

The guy with the Thing.
Established Member
Ok, i have my car entered in a car show next weekend, i want it looking amazing.. thought i would spice up the paint job a little. overall, i'd say the paint is in good condition.. a couple scuffs on the rocker panels but other than that its a garaged car so nothing particulary bad with it.

anyways... ive noticed that everyone prefers the Porter Cable 7424 so i bought one today, with an orange, red, white and black pad..

now.. what polishes should i use? which first, second, third.. etc...

any help would be appreciated.

CobraMac

Established Member
Ok, i have my car entered in a car show next weekend, i want it looking amazing.. thought i would spice up the paint job a little. overall, i'd say the paint is in good condition.. a couple scuffs on the rocker panels but other than that its a garaged car so nothing particulary bad with it.

anyways... ive noticed that everyone prefers the Porter Cable 7424 so i bought one today, with an orange, red, white and black pad..

now.. what polishes should i use? which first, second, third.. etc...

any help would be appreciated.

Depends on how bad the flaws in your paint are...if there are only veryyy minor swirls and such I would use a light polish with a white cutting pad. Mine as you saw had a ton of swirls and looked like crap so I had to use a stage 2 compound and orange cutting pad to get rid of a lot of them. Use either a stage 1 compound like poorboy SSR1 and then a polish and then follow it up with a wax, or use a light polish with a white cutting pad, then use a white non-cutting pad, followed by a wax with your black pad. There's a tonnn of polishes/compounds you can use. Go to autogeek.com and check them out to see which would be best for your paint.

MAD SVT

The guy with the Thing.
Established Member
Holy crap... autogeek is the holy grail of detailing.. ive spent 40 minutes on there and still havent bought anything.

anyone know their lead times on shipping? im on a time crunch..

EBCOBRA

Fender Roller
Established Member

MAD SVT

The guy with the Thing.
Established Member
holy crap... thats expensive stuff.. they only charged $8 for shipping, i'd spend more in gas going to Hawthorne to pick it up.. hopefully it will get here fast.

MAD SVT

The guy with the Thing.
Established Member
ya i bought the chemical guys stuff.. but their shipping is pissing me off. The must have checked the "have someone sign in person" chingadera so Fed Ex wont leave it at my door, even with a note.
dammit.

otownpj

Established Member
Autogeek is in Ft lauderdale, fl area, heard of chemical guys, never used their products though.

Autogeeks DODO juice is some wicked stuff.

also have you guys tried Zaino? Zaino is incredible!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread