Please a little help/advice.

Icecold

Established Member
So I bought a 96 cobra and it was suppose to have had an engine rebuild, etc. Well when I test drove it, it didn't run the greatest but I was thinking old gas(due to it being for sale and sitting for around a year) or a bad tune. It has cams in it but not sure the duration/lift etc. I also don't know what was rebuilt(bought it from a dealership and they know nothing about the car). Took it to my local speed shop which is very good with tuning bosses cobras gt500s etc. Said its not running right can you please tune it. So long story short the o2s were gone put new ones in and tuned it the best he could but he said hes getting some weird codes and one side of the engine is lean the other is rich so he cant just add fuel to one side. Well when I drive it under 3500 rpm or so it has like no power(I have to keep in mind im coming from a 03 cobra) then really gets up and goes around the 4000(could be due to the cams). Now its seems like the tuning has reversed or something because while driving just say 30-40mph staying very steady its stuttering hesitating. Now im also burning oil. So thought maybe irmcs are gummed up etc took everything out and found out it has the delete kit in it. Now when I look into the intake side and look at some of the valves there is a pool of oil laying on top of some of them. What could that be from ? Im wondering if I need to rebuild the top end. Im not sure if the guy just through bigger cams in it without different springs etc. Also do you need to change the size of valves with bigger cams ? Sorry I don't know a lot of technical details. I can easily fix/replace stuff but as far as figuring out technical specs of duration lift, spring tension etc to use im not sure. Also I have msd coils and wires ... I might have a wire that might be shorting to the head but not to sure.

Thanks.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
What codes are you pulling?
Change the spark plugs and wires and fuel filter unless they are brand new. Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak or something, but codes would help us.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible 4G

Icecold

Established Member
ya sorry I don't know what codes the tuner was pulling he cleared them and now it will pull codes p1000(took battery out) and p1443(evap emission system control valve low/no flow) I have changed plugs, need to change wires and thinking coils as well. Im still worried about why I have oil on top of the valves. Also might have an exhaust leak so that would be throwing off the o2 sensors during the tune

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
These motors burn a lot of oil. I put a oil catch can on mine and every 150 miles or so its full of oil. I would suggest replacing your pcv valve for shits and giggleberries, they are only like $2.99. The oil left on the valves is probably left from when they did the IMRC delete, my guess is bc they were too lazy to actually clean it. Its normal for the second intake valve to be boogered up because its not sprayed by an injector. You will notice that one port has the cutout for the injector, the other does not. I did a c head swap, but still there is a lot of oil that I catch and would have to imagine that there is really nothing wrong about all the oil you are seeing. Dont buy a catch can system from steeda or any other place than menards, lowes, home depot, etc. Use an air compressor filter. It will need to look like a T. The inlet and outlet should run across the top of the can...most are clear so you can tell the level. They will have a white rock like filter element in them... you can take that out. Install your new pcv valve, run a new hose(THAT IS STRONG ENOUGH NOT TO COLLAPSE UNDER HEAT AND VACUUM) to your inlet and run a new hose from your outlet to your intake. Monitor how much oil it is catching.

As far as the miss, a good ole American tune up should be the first thing you do.... and remember coming from an 03, b heads are turds down low

Icecold

Established Member
Ok thanks for the advice ... I went to get new intake manifold gaskets today well that's a hell of a lot of fun to try and find the lower imrc to head gasket. Also got new wires 180$ those are coming out of the states. Going to also put stock motorcraft plugs back in. I forgot to mention that I don't have the pcv from the valve cover to the intake on the driver side it just has a breather that just leaks oil all over the cover and smokes. On the passenger from the cover to the intake it has the hose but once again its leaking oil into it and just oiling up my maf. Can a person put a separator (catch can) there to help that problem out ? Also about the oil are you meaning burnt dry oil on top of the valves or a small pool or oil ? I have a small pool of oil on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread