Platinum Plugs = Detonation ??

BOD89LX

Established Member
So I just switched to Lund tunes on my car and it detonated like mad at part throttle and WOT. So Van in his ultimate wisdom noticed I had motorcraft platinum plugs AGSF 12FM1's from when I did the 127JLT. 2.4 upper and 65mm throttle body. So he recommend that I try a set of NGK 4177's and boom problem solved . I will add the Lund tune seem great drives like stock and the clutch protection being disabled is a great thing. Now as if my new rims ever show up I will get to the drag strip again and see if my tank has a 10 second pass in it. I want to add it did the same thing with my old tuner but they fixed the tune to get rid of it which was a matter of pulling timing.

Big thanks to Van @ Revan Racing!!!!

:beer:

Last edited:

GSStage2

Established Member
Did you have to ask for the clutch protection to be removed or does that already come on a Lund term? I will let the OP answer the question on why.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Did you have to ask for the clutch protection to be removed or does that already come on a Lund term? I will let the OP answer the question on why.

I did ask to have it disabled but not sure if I had to just wanted to make sure when I ordered the tuner from Revan Racing.

Van@RevanRacing

So I just switched to Lund tunes on my car and it detonated like mad at part throttle and WOT. So Van in his ultimate wisdom noticed I had motorcraft platinum plugs AGSF 12FM1's from when I did the 127JLT. 2.4 upper and 65mm throttle body. So he recommend that I try a set of NGK 4177's and boom problem solved . I will add the Lund tune seem great drives like stock and the clutch protection being disabled is a great thing. Now as if my new rims ever show up I will get to the drag strip again and see if my tank has a 10 second pass in it. I want to add it did the same thing with my old tuner but they fixed the tune to get rid of it which was a matter of pulling timing.

Big thanks to Van @ Revan Racing!!!!

:beer:

Happy I could help! Thanks for the business :beer: !!

Now go get that 10 Second Time Slip!! :rockon:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
The plugs you switched to, same as TR6 plugs?

Have you tested to see if the clutch protection is in fact off?

Snoopy49

Established Member
The plugs you switched to, same as TR6 plugs?

Brand: NGK Spark Plugs

Manufacturer's Part Number: 4177

NGK Part Number: TR6

Part Type: Spark Plugs

Product Line: NGK V-Power Spark Plugs

UPC: 087295141779

Shorty Spark Plug: No

Resistor: Yes

Manufacturer Heat Range: 6

Electrode Core Material: Copper

Electrode Tip Material: Nickel alloy

Insulator Type: Projected

Spark Plug Thread Size: 14mm

Spark Plug Reach: 0.690 in.

Spark Plug Seat Style: Tapered

Wrench Diameter: 5/8 in.

Ground Strap Quantity: One

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Snoopy, a simple yes would have sufficed!!! :cuss:

I did not realize Bod put the part number instead of just naming the plugs lol. I already have TR6 in my car, just had them put in the other day

BOD89LX

Established Member
Does this setting affect Launch Control?

thanks,
Crowley

I havent tried the launch control since doing the mods to my car and running drag radials. I was able to go faster at the track without launch control so havent done any more testing with it other then the RPM only feature.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I havent tried the launch control since doing the mods to my car and running drag radials. I was able to go faster at the track without launch control so havent done any more testing with it other then the RPM only feature.

when you get a chance get some vids of you launching hard and also try the LC just to humor us :beer:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Snoopy, a simple yes would have sufficed!!! :cuss:

Devious
Thank you for asking the question, I would have never known the difference. I posted the information that was of interest to me and I thought I would share.

I wonder if these plugs would benefit a stock engine?

BOD89LX

Established Member
when you get a chance get some vids of you launching hard and also try the LC just to humor us :beer:

I will see if I can round up a go pro once my forgeline wheels show up if they ever do (lol) and I get my 315/35-20 NT05R's mounted up. The only time I tried to use the launch control with mods and drag radials there was a big cloud of clutch smoke that came out from my car........

:burn::bash:

Users who are viewing this thread