plastic speedometer gear

98svtconvert

Established Member
as far as i know you just disconnect the speedo cable and then remove the old gear, then replace with the new one and put the cable back on. if you have a hayne's manual i believe it says step by step how to do it. have fun with the new gears.

Justin

Lazerred98cobra

Established Member
Go under the car look at the tranny on the tail shaft and youll see a 3/8 or 10mm in CANADA! bolt. remove it and pull out the assembly. There is a small clip which holds the gear on. Remove it take your gear off. Put the new gear on with the clip back in place after. I alway put a little fluid on it to make sure its not dry, but you dont have to. Put it back in the tranny and put the bolt back in. Its as easy as that seriously a 5- 10 min job at most including jack time! :-D

And What gears did you get? :shrug:

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Yeah ... the assembly is the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). I did mine on a lift, and those friggin pipes and the transmission case were hot. Had to wrap rags around the pipes, and reach around the cross-member - one hand on each side.

Use care when you disconnect the small wire harness from the end of the VSS. The wires get brittle, and may break!

Dan

Jgranga171

1BADSNAKE
Established Member
Lazerred98cobra said:
Go under the car look at the tranny on the tail shaft and youll see a 3/8 or 10mm in CANADA! bolt. remove it and pull out the assembly. There is a small clip which holds the gear on. Remove it take your gear off. Put the new gear on with the clip back in place after. I alway put a little fluid on it to make sure its not dry, but you dont have to. Put it back in the tranny and put the bolt back in. Its as easy as that seriously a 5- 10 min job at most including jack time! :-D

And What gears did you get? :shrug:

I got 4.10s. You're probably gonna tell me I should've got 4.30s, eh? I know, I know! If only I would've known! I do like my 4.10s though. Definately a HUGE difference. And my gas mileage didn't change one bit. actually got better on the highway and in the city! Thanks to everybody who gave me advice on the speedo gear. As soon as the slow pokes aka Steeda put my gear in the mail I'll get it and put it in.

COBRASVT

Established Member
Jgranga171 said:
I got 4.10s. You're probably gonna tell me I should've got 4.30s, eh? I know, I know! If only I would've known! I do like my 4.10s though. Definately a HUGE difference. And my gas mileage didn't change one bit. actually got better on the highway and in the city! Thanks to everybody who gave me advice on the speedo gear. As soon as the slow pokes aka Steeda put my gear in the mail I'll get it and put it in.

There's no gear to compensate for 4.10s. Heck, even with 3.73s, it's still 5-10% off.

You need to get the speed calc from DM....

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Changed mine about two and a half hours ago and it was more of an annoyance than I was expecting. I could not for the life of me get a wrench on that bolt. An 11mm wrench was too big, a 10mm wrench was too small. Same goes for a 3/8 and a 7/16. Seemed like the bolt was just too close to the sensor the fit the wrench over the head of it. Ended up saying screw it and used a crescent wrench...

Users who are viewing this thread