plastic over flow tank?

grant007

Established Member
well while i was under the hood, looking at the cooling eqpt. i noticed where my overflow tank apparently split at the seem and spray coolant on my under hood blanket. what did you guys replace it with? i see a all aluminium one on the LMS website. i think its a direct fit. im gonna try, unless i hear from yous guys..
another quick question. the T-stat?. is it cobra/4v specific? and maybe do a 160degree one, i hear modulars dont like to run hot. and i can atest to that!
Fred G

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Yes, the factory plastic coolant overflow tanks (and especially the tank caps) can warp and/or split. The aftermarket metal coolant overflow tanks are a solid solution for anyone who doesn't want to deal with the factory plastic crap warping again. Canton makes one such replacement tank.

Skip the 160 thermostat and stick with a 180 or 195. It's better to tweak your cooling fan settings and instruct them to "turn on" at a lower temperature setting (via a tuner).
The 'ol "toss in a super low tstat" pushrod 302 trick doesn't fare as well on these modular engines without supporting work/adjustments to the cooling/computer system.

Last but not least, if you are messing with the cooling system on any 4V, take a few moments to educate yourself (just trying to be informative) and learn how to properly refill (and "burp") the cobra cooling system.

Time after time you will see people experience difficulty with trapped air in the system due to not being aware of how to refill the cooling system (which is done at the coolant crossover tube, directly in front of the alternator btw).

G'luck.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You can also get a replacememt from Steve at Tousely Ford if that al tank hits your wallet too hard. The t-stat is Cobra specific. The 2v one has a much smaller valve area, ie less flow.

Users who are viewing this thread