Plasti Dip Wheels

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Curious if anyone has any experience with the Plasti Dip product and wheels.

I'm thinking about "dipping" mine in flat black but I'm worried it is going to mess up the finish on the wheels. Since I'm completely clueless on how abrasive the product is and of course their website says it's completely safe, I'm looking for someone with a less biased opinion.

Modmotor4life

Established Member
I dip my wheels for winter, just in case I have to drive it in the salt. I leave it on all winter long and it peels off with no damage to the finish of the wheel. However, no matter how thick I spray it on. It does not come off as easy as advertised. It's a pain!!!

Marc

Established Member
Did the wheels on my daughter's car. Just make sure you clean the wheels and put on several coats. I hear the more coats you put on, the easier it is to take off.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I used this a few times on my car after the the track kept chipping my wheels. Took it off after about 9 months and it looked great. It sucked to peel off as others have said, but I ran that for a month or so and like the dipped look more. Matt black wheels + black car w/ white stripes + dark tint + loud exhaust = sex

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
heated pressure washer takes it right off with minimal effort. no damage to the underneath. it CAN get stuck in fine scratches and paint nicks making it a pain in the ass to get out. these rims DO get knicked and pitted from the tires being sticky and throwing rocks all the time.

armor-all also seems to soften it then it wipes off.

mavisky

Established Member
Minimum of 4-5 coats for easy peeling. I've done badges and stuff with it on multiple cars. Looking to do it to my entire car after watching two friends do it to a GT-R and an NSX.

Dynobrat

Established Member
If you plasti-dip wheels and use tire shine products do not get any tire shine on the wheels after or it will affect the plasti-dip causing it to run.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
My whole car is dipped. I sprayed it a matte camo/army green color. My wife has an explorer and I've done her wheels, grill and some trim matte black.

mavisky

Established Member
My whole car is dipped. I sprayed it a matte camo/army green color. My wife has an explorer and I've done her wheels, grill and some trim matte black.

Well that's certainly a change since the last time I saw you post pics of your car. Any photos of it? I may need to talk to you before I do mine.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Let me see if I can login to photbucket and I can post some up. It came out pretty good I think. I may at some point spray it like a flat/matte gunmetal grey or maybe just do flat black. Pretty cheap to just change it up and if you get bored you can just peel it off. I messed up on a few spots on my bumper and I just peeled it off and resprayed the next weekend. I get bored with cars easily and I really want to keep this because I know Ill kick myself if I sell it.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
image4.jpg
"]
image4.jpg
[/URL]
image3.jpg
"]
image3.jpg
[/URL]
image2-1.jpg
"]
image2-1.jpg
[/URL]
image1-1.jpg
"]
image1-1.jpg
[/URL]
image2.jpg
"]
image2.jpg
[/URL]
image1.jpg
"]
image1.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
There's a few I've just snapped with my phone. My hood is wrapped in all of the pictures except the last one. That was test fitting the new hood.

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Dipyourcar.com sells dip desolver ,it is a citrus based product the will melt the dip and it pressure washes right off,but lik
Stated earlier if enough coats applied it comes right off,wheels in pic are dipped in anthracite grey

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 354

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Like above, I use it on several vehicles. I have it on my GT500 wheels and two jeeps. Have used it on all my jeep emblems to black them out.

I never use less than 5-6 coats. Makes it easy to peel off and very durable.

I was very skeptical a few years ago but I'm totally sold on it now having used it and for the track you don't get better or easier protection.

Users who are viewing this thread