Plasti Dip Idea:Brilliant or Retarded?

JMoraru

Established Member
So, i have plasti dipped a few things and have to admit its pretty cool stuff. One downside people oftentimes bring up is the lack of variety in colors. The most common color people do is black, but many people wish they could do whatever color. Well, would it not work to plasti dip something the standard black....do a few thick coats. THEN spray the plasti dip with whatever color spray paint that you want? I mean it makes sense to me...the plasti dip would act like a removable primer coat. The downside i could see causing it not to work would be that spray paint will dry harder. Anyone tried it?

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I've never tried it. However, I may give this a shot on some extra emblems I have laying around my garage.

LS2GTO

Established Member
If it's something solid, as in not something that needs to bend or move (like say wheels or a grill), then yes painting should work and not crack. I found painting plastics the correct way to be the easiest and most long lasting than metals. I painted a bumper insert on my car after coating it in some adhesive and it went on very smoothly and has lasted a long time. This was also without all the prepwork of sanding and scuffing. Just a light cleaning and then spraying with adhesive and paint.

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

04Machsy

Established Member
i heard that some people had found it in other colors. there is a guy on another forum that is dippin his car white

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I haven't tried this stuff. Something about the idea of using it feels off to me. Like vinyl stripes or chrome sticker trim.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I might try this on the beat up stockers on my L, they're not chromed just silver paint. I tell ya, I'd have a hard time sprayin those chromes.

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
stuff peels off like a thin layer of rubber, if anything its protecting my chrome wheels. a lot of bmw and audi guys do it for winter applications. prep work is a just a good wash and alcohol wipe down and spray in thick coats. plus side its only 6 dollars a can, took me all of 3 cans to do all 4 wheels inside and out.

DT_C03RA

Established Member
You can paint over it. I have heard of others doing this on some other car forums without issue. They did two coats of PD, then two coats of what ever color paint you choose and one coat of clear.

Then when you're tired of it or just want something different you just peel it all off. The paint just adhere's to the PD, so it works just the same as if you only used PD.

From what I can tell the farther away you spray the PD from the surface the more flat it looks and the opposite with the closer you spray it.

I figure a little trial and error would be pretty common the first time you use it.

Users who are viewing this thread