Plasti dip and saleen grill with a WARNING

jakhammer

Established Member
So today I decided to see how plasti dip would work on plastic. I taped off part of my new and uninstalled saleen grill and when to town. I was happy with the end results:

20140421_180313.jpg

Thats with 2 coats black and 2 coats of glossifier. Not a bad look IMHO.

Then I needed to remove it so I could get a nice even look. This led to issue 1. It needs to be thicker than 4 coats to come off textured plastic. So I hit it with one mega heavy coat (didnt care if it looked good, it was just to build it up to get it off).

After it dried I was easily able to pull up a corner and start removing it. I went slow as it was in texture and came off with a good amount of effort. Removing it led to issue 2:

20140421_235226.jpg

You can see how it has whiter looking areas and there is a line where i taped it off. Its a lot lighter in color where the dip was peeled off.

So the warning here is 2 fold. 1 you need a lot of dip applied to get it back off textured plastic. 2 it can screw with the color/finish of the plastic.

Moral of the story... its good I liked the outcome cuz once you dip you dont come back to stock... at least on a saleen grill.

I am currently redoing the entire grill. Will post here once its done.

jakhammer

Established Member
Now for the finished but still uninstalled product

20140422_132337.jpg

20140422_132352.jpg

20140422_132411.jpg

Turned out good. Now I need to get my valance done and get them installed.

jakhammer

Established Member
It isn't black. Since when is Grey black? And yes I did. Michigan weather had been the suck. So use a fan in the window and suck the vapor out. Rain be damned.

jakhammer

Established Member
No wife here. No worries. Lol. I have no issues using my house to my advantage... to a point. Boredom and bad weather, what's a guy to do.

Last edited:

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I have a brand new Saleen grill. Its not gray, but its also not a great black. Its dull, and it kind of pisses me off. It looks cheap IMO. So I was wondering about plastidipping it. The color after the dip is closer to the depth of black I'd hoped for.

Users who are viewing this thread