• Plasma

Votes: 62 47.3%
  • LCD

Votes: 69 52.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spinscan

Established Member
I am in the market for a new tv in the 46" range and would like some opinions on whether I should go with plasma or lcd.

snakebite6

Established Member
plasmas dont last as long, and i think that LCD's have better picture. That just my opinion.

If i were you i would go to best buy or something and just take a look at different types of TV's and see what you like. Everyone has different preferences.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
rather go to walmart or target. BB tunes their tv sets so the most expensive sets always have the best picture, and detune the cheaper ones so they look like shit. Target and Walmart employees arent smart enough for that sort of shenanigans.

And then id buy online.......

Dusten

Established Member
plasmas dont last as long, and i think that LCD's have better picture. That just my opinion.

If i were you i would go to best buy or something and just take a look at different types of TV's and see what you like. Everyone has different preferences.

based on the projected life of my plasma, if i never shut it off it would still last 8 years... is that not long enough?
I love my plasma, the only downside is the heat it puts off and the energy usage

FordMustangLove

Lame-o
Established Member

its not called opinion if stated as fact,

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
I am in the market for a new tv in the 46" range and would like some opinions on whether I should go with plasma or lcd.

neither...you should look into the new LED tv's...they are just amazing in clarity and picture.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
its not called opinion if stated as fact,

Especially when it isn't true. Plasmas are now typically expected to live as long as LCDs.

OP, we have a 50" plasma and 37" LCD (both Panasonic) and are perfectly happy with both; I honestly can't tell a difference between the picture on the two. I'd say go with a good brand and the price you want to pay, not necessarily which is "better" between the two.

ugotsmoked

Established Member
I just went through this dilemma of what picture looks best, I bought and returned 2 different tvs before i found the exact picture i wanted with my blu ray. I ended up with a 46" samsung 650 series. 120 hz processor and automotion plus are amazing. Samsung is far advanced with their screens than other makers.

Vrointhk06

Established Member
if in a room that the light is controllable, then the plasma wins hands down as far as picture quality. the black levels are unmatched by lcd, they are much faster in response, the viewing angle is wider, etc.

the negatives on plasmas (power consumption, burn in, lifetime, etc.) are things that aren't image quality related if it's in the proper setting

that said, excellent sets are made in both plasma and lcd format

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Some people prefer the look of plasma, some prefer LCD. It all depends on what looks best to YOU. I prefer plasma for several reasons. Some of these statements are opinions and some are facts. The facts: current plasmas do last at least as long as LCD's, burn-in issues are a thing of the past with current technology, plasmas use more energy than LCD's but it equates to about $30-$50/yr, plasmas are heavier than LCD's but plasmas still aren't "heavy," the only LCD's that come close to a good plasma's black level and shadow detail are local dimming backlit LED LCD's, NOT the typical sidelit LED's, those LED's are much more expensive than plasma's. My opinions: good LCD's and good plasmas will both provide a great picture with good colors but even the best LED LCD's can't handle motion like plasmas can. 60hz, 120hz, 240hz, it doesn't matter, since the LCD is backlit the processing required to add frames to handle motion make the image look fake. It takes film based material and makes it look like video. Plasmas don't do that. Films look like films. Cheaper, better black levels, better motion, great picture quality, stick with plasma.

Satyr

Established Member
Especially when it isn't true. Plasmas are now typically expected to live as long as LCDs.

OP, we have a 50" plasma and 37" LCD (both Panasonic) and are perfectly happy with both; I honestly can't tell a difference between the picture on the two. I'd say go with a good brand and the price you want to pay, not necessarily which is "better" between the two.

Same here...I have a 42" plasma panasonic and my brother just got the same model in LCD (37" actually). I think they both look great.

I used to prefer plasma because the first LCD I got (sylvania 32", old as shit) was pretty poor quality. Now, I would take either...I would look for whatever you can get the best deal on, but make sure you stick to a good brand like samsung, panasonic, LG, sony, etc.

ZincGTT

Banned
Plasma.

I have a 42" 1080i HD LG plasma with HD service. My cousin has a 56" HD DLP w/ HD service. My dad has a 46" HD LCD w/ HD service.

All 3 of us have agreed that my picture looks the best.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
I may be wrong but i think the plasma's have a better picture quality. I compared same brands(samsung) and i liked the plasma but i ended up buying a samsung lcd because of price/size/availability. I'm happy with the lcd so i say get whatever fits your budget.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
There is soooo much FAIL in this thread its not even funny! From short living Plasma's to "new" LED tech, to 240hz is better than 120 hz, to plasma burn-in....Geez people...don't make comments about something when you obviously don't know. Not trying to be a dick, even though it may come off that way (Good!), but it's getting a little annoying with all the people wanting advice and getting a load of shit to ponder on. There are only a few post in here worth anything and thats not good. Instead of automatically throwing out what you would call "AV knowledge" how about we ask the OP some questions like:

1. Budget
2. Room settings (dark, very bright, can the excessive light be controlled if needed)
3. Size (already given)
etc.

"Burn-in" as it was called 5 years ago when it actually happend, is now known as IR aka "Image Retention" and is damn near just as liable to happen to an LCD as a Plasma. If you buy into the whole 240hz/600hz processing...well I just feel sorry for you, looks like Best Buy got the best of you! From Plasma's don't last as long and LCD has the superior picture, I REALLY hope your not serious. Yes, everyone's eyes are different but I can 99% guarantee that if you looked at the Pioneer KRP-500m or any Pio for that matter (panny's getting decent too), that you will hate what you have in an instant lol. There is a reason that the best looking tv with the darkest, deepest blacks, most accurate color, most accurate motion reproduction, etc....has been a Plasma for as long as I can remember. Not saying that LCD/LED (which by the way is damn near the same thing) b/c there are some VERY nice ones that look amazing but when in a semi dark to dark environment with a reputable source playing the material...99% of the time, Plasma will take the cake. To the OP, I suggest if budget is no problem for you, take a look at the Pio KRP-500m, if you can find it, and BUY IT NOW! It is hands down the nicest tv on the market and will be for awhile. CES is coming up very soon so we'll see what they have in store but its mostly 3D tech for the new tv's (yay?). If you need any more help in making a decision or trying to get some info, I can help ya out. Just send me a PM and i'll do what I can

yellowgt02

Established Member
Plasma.

I just bought a 50" LG PS11, and love it. Its 1080p as well.

The picture is 10x better than my Samsung 37" LCD, which is only 2 years old.

Quik Z06

Established Member
We have a 55 inch LCD in the living room and just got a 42 inch plasma for our bedroom. When we got the Plasma home we compared it to the LCD and the picture looked better on the Plasma. Personally though get what you can afford, there isnt enough of a difference with most TV's to notice, so why even worry about it :)

Users who are viewing this thread