Planning a trip to New York City

50 Proof

Established Member
Did you even price it out? I just checked the same dates in Oct, Hotel 31, with a private bath (yes they offer shared bathrooms) for two people, three nights is $547.

The Sheraton Manhattan was less.

I don't know how you're coming up with your rates...

Hotel31.com check in Oct 20th and check out Oct 25th - 170 per room for 1 person with private bath.

spg.com Sheraton Manhattan check in Oct 20th and check out Oct 25th - 477 per night.

Do you know of some special discount for Sheraton Manhattan? The cheapest rate I can find for Sheraton Manhattan is 317 per night from Sept 27th to Oct 2nd.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You are right, the site was picking up my computer and applied my discount. I would rather stay in Jersey and take the path train across, than stay at that SRO Hotel.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Make sure you go to flashdancers if it is still open.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
don't stay in staten island, it will be more of a hassel then just staying in the city. As long you're not in some no name crack shack building, something like a Hilton, Sheraton, Marriot, is good. Obviously you get better percks when you pay more, but some people don't mind for that stuff. If it were up to me I would probably stay in the Sheraton or something along the lines of that which has a very good reputation. NYC is a blast.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
We took my in-laws to NYC for their 50th anniversary, between Christmas and New Years last year.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, in Soho, I think it was around $180 a night; private bath & king bed.

You can get any where by subway (cheap) or cab (not so cheap).

I walked a lot, even to the Empire State building.

Very cool place, the wife loved it and we will def go back.

-Brian

50 Proof

Established Member
Ok, I booked 5 nights at the Sheraton Manhattan - Time Square last night. That was my original top choice even before posting this thread. Kinda expensive at $323 a night but I've never been to NYC before, I'm only planning one large vacation this year, and figure I can afford it so why the hell not?

Is it stupid to go to NYC alone? I'm considering bringing my g/f, but I kind of want to do my own thing when I'm out there and not have to worry about catering to anyone else. I called my mom last night to get some info from her because my grandparents were from New York and my great or my great great grandparents immigrated here through Ellis island. She told me NYC is a fun place to go to but only when you go with someone, otherwise it's a very cold and unfriendly place to visit by yourself. Frankly, I don't really see what the big deal is. Maybe I can get some input from you guys on this one?

Users who are viewing this thread