Plan on Mr. Clean Autodry on '03s?

frank3si

Established Member
Does anybody have any opinions one way or the other on the new Mr. Clean Autodry product? Supposedly, it eliminates the need for hand-drying entirely, windows included. I did a Web search and found an article about the marketing of the product, a bit of which I'll excerpt below. Also, here's a link with company info:

Link to Mr. Clean Autodry

Regards,
Frank

Autodry, a homegrown product that took more than three years to develop, will pull in $100 million in its first year, Mr. Gilbreath predicted. Not surprisingly, Procter is putting a lot more effort and money behind it.

The product attaches to a garden hose and uses special soaps and filters to keep water from beading on car surfaces. A starter kit, good for about three washes, is intended to retail for about $19.99. Soap and filter refills will go for $4.99 each.

Mr. Gilbreath conceded that all auto-wash products claim to leave no spots, so he said he turned to colleagues at Procter's Old Spice division to find out how to dispel healthy male skepticism. The Old Spice answer: endorsements, guarantees, race cars and technology.

Autodry's marketing stresses those points. The product package includes the logo of Pur, Procter's brand of water filter, as well as a "Motor Trend approved" logo — the automotive equivalent of a Good Housekeeping seal. Procter is offering a one-year money-back guarantee.

Although Autodry will not be shipped to retailers until January, Procter is already running 60-second and 120-second spots on CMT (Country Music Television) and ESPN, which include a toll-free telephone number for orders. Procter is sponsoring a Mr. Clean Autodry race car, to be driven by Wally Dallenbach, a retired Nascar driver turned NBC racing sportscaster..

03TRMN8R

Established Member
That's looks fantastic. I think I'll order some. I downloaded the demo videos to see how it works. I'm always skeptical about things like this but it seems to be real working product.

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
Their website has errors when trying to order. Tried calling the # to order and that kinda works but my town shares zip with 2 others and the package won't get to me if wrong town is listed, they do not have a way to over ride that if your phone # is unlisted (tries to do a lookup).

I would like to try it but can't!

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
I work at P&G, I've herd it works great. But I can't say that I've tried it. I'll try to get a hold of some and tell you what I think.

Tim:D

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
Hi Frank.

I saw about 10 of the commercials on Sunday. If it works like they advertise......it will sell well.

Two weeks ago I bought the window equivalent of this product made by Windex. They advertise this product as a hose on....let sit for 15 seconds.....hose off and your done. I have four very large windows on my house that can't be reached very easily even by ladder. Up to this point I had been paying window cleaners to come do them. Well sure enough.......the stuff worked exactly as advertised (how often does that ever happen). I couldn't believe it!! I am now a believer and will be a regular buyer.

So I can believe that it is possible for something to work like this.

Darin

Matt M PA

Established Member
It all seems to be about your water. If you have a water softener that feeds to the hose connection you use to wash the car, you won't get water spots. It's the minerals in the water that cause the spots.

The product has a filter that removes the minerals form the water. The soap, fancy sprayer, etc...are all part of the act.

It all has to do with the final rinse water...if it is hard water...it will leave spots.

I had to re-edit this post as I did a quickie on-line search and there are in-line water softeners available. Ya know, that hook up in line with your hose. Gonna have to look into this..I don;t mind washing cars..but drying them...that's a whole different story.

Last edited:

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
I finally got through to a real person on teh phone and ordered it on Monday. I'll let you know once I try it out. I don't know how long it takes but sometimes stuff like this takes weeks.

NFW I can avoid drying my car now - tons of spots if I do and it looks like shit. It would be wonderful if I can get away without drying - even if it's a good not great job it will still be useful for a quickie wash.

Users who are viewing this thread